I don’t know about you, but living in Italy and having a mother-in-law who grows the most amazing vegetables, it comes the time when it is zucchini over load.
After living in Italy and cooking side by side with some amazing cooks, I have to admit zucchini is one of my favourite vegetables now. I have discovered and made so many delicious dishes with zucchini.
When you have too many zucchini and they are coming out of your ears, or you just feel like scooping some up at the market, this is the recipe to try. Believe me zucchini and potatoes go so well together, crispy and tasty. Exactly how they should be. Even if you have kids who say “yuck I hate zucchini”, I’m sure they will love them done this way, and I am talking from experience.
What is also great about this recipe is, if you have some extra-large zucchini, don’t toss them because you think they aren’t worth keeping, just cut away the extra pulp, the bigger zucchini tend to have extra seeds. Now if you were my mother-in-law, she would seed them, dry them out and put them away for next zucchini season. Well you could always give that a go if ever you ever get the desire. I haven’t yet but I keep thinking one day. Buon appetito!
- 4-5 large potatoes
- 2-3 medium zucchini
- ¼ cup (40 grams) olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons (9 grams) salt
- 1½ teaspoons (1¼ grams) oregano
- 3 sprigs rosemary (leaves removed from the stem)
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 400° (200° celcius)
- Peel and rinse the potatoes, cut into small wedges, then dry them in a clean dish towel, place in a large baking pan, add zucchini also cut into small wedges, toss with olive oil, salt, oregano, rosemary and garlic, mix well, if you like sprinkle with additional oregano and salt. Bake in a pre-heated oven for approximately 1 hour. (halfway through cooking time, mix the potatoes with a spatula), continue cooking. Serve immediately. Enjoy!