Grilled Eggplant Parmesan, a healthier way of making one of the most delicious Italian dishes. Grilled Eggplant covered in mozzarella and parmesan cheese,topped with a delicious Italian tomato sauce. And baked to perfection.
The perfect main dish or side dish. Your family will love it.
Baked Grilled Eggplant Parmesan
In Italy you can always tell how far into summer you are by what is growing in your garden. Needless to say at this point my eggplant is really starting to show itself off.
Thank goodness because that darn zucchini still shows no sign of slowing down. But at least I will give everyone a break from zucchini this and that!
I have eaten a lot of different types of Eggplant Parmesan since arriving in Italy, but I much prefer this Grilled Eggplant Parmesan.
Be sure to watch the Video!
I like the fact that I don’t have to fry the eggplant, this is a much easier and lighter way of making this classic Italian dish.
While my simple tomato sauce was thickening on the stove, I got to grilling my eggplant. I used both long and round eggplant. Whichever type you use just make sure you get young firm eggplants. They seem to have the less seeds.
I cut them into approximately 3 inch, not too thick slices and I placed them in a bowl with approximately 2 teaspoons of salt (gently toss together) and I let them sit for about 20 or 30 minutes. Then I drained them, but did not rinse them and then I started to grill the slices.
Grilled Eggplant Parmesan
Be sure not to grill them too much or they will be too dry. Even if you have some left overs they make a great Grilled Eggplant Appetizer.
I also used firm mozzarella instead of fresh. I find fresh with certain foods becomes too watery. And don’t forget lots of Parmesan! I made this into a three-layer Grilled Eggplant Parmesan and it was amazing. Perfectly cheesy. Buon Appetito!
Grilled Eggplant Parmesan
- BASIC SAUCE
- 1 can peeled tomatoes (400 grams)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (30 grams)
- 1-2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (1 3/4 grams)
- pinch of hot pepper flakes if desired
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 5 leaves fresh basil chopped
- 1/2 cup water (113 grams)
- 2-3 medium eggplants sliced lengthwise, not too thin and grilled
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese (75 grams)
- 1 1/2 cups firm mozzarella shredded (150 grams)
- Pre-heat oven to 350° (180° celsius).
- In a medium pot add olive oil, tomatoes, garlic, hot pepper flakes, oregano, salt and basil leaves, stir to combine and add water and combine, on medium heat cook until thickened.
- While sauce is cooking grill eggplant.
- In an 8 x 6 inch (20 x 15 centimeter) baking dish, spread a little sauce, then make 4 or 5 layers starting with the grilled eggplant, top with sauce, shredded mozzarella cheese sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, continue for another 4 or 5 layers, the last layer top only with Parmesan cheese. (Place baking dish on a cookie sheet just in case the sauce bubbles over). Bake for approximately 25 minutes, let sit 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!