You have thought about it and thought about it and now you really want to start a food blog. So what is stopping you? I know all that technical stuff, believe me, if I knew then what I know now it would have been so much easier. So for that reason I am going to show you, step by step, how to start a food blog, see how simple and fast it really is.
So get ready to make your food blog a reality! I believe in the do-it-yourself method, of course with help from Bluehost you will be well on your way to posting your first recipe. I will explain how you can create your own self hosted wordpress website in the next paragraph, so keep reading.
It can cost you a minimum of $4.95 a month for hosting(and of course Bluehost has an anytime money-back guarantee, which gives you the freedom to cancel at any time!) and the cost of a theme (from free to $99.00). So what’s stopping you?
Follow these basic steps and you will be well on your way to setting up your amazing self-hosted WordPress food blog. You will have to choose a name for your blog which is your domain name, I am sure you will also like to create a food blog that will reflect your own personal look so take your time and think about it. Before you know you will be posting your first recipe and loving every minute of it, just like I do!
If you already have something in mind you can enter your idea immediately and see if your domain is available.
1. CHOOSE A NAME FOR YOUR BLOG:
And purchase the domain name to match. Think of something that reflects yourself or what you have in mind for your blog. I suggest something not too complicated or hard to spell, but have fun with it. Blog names usually end in .com (example: myblogname.com). Once you have thought of a name or maybe a couple of names, head over to Bluehost.com and see if your name is available. Domain name free with web hosting from Bluehost.
When you have decided on the perfect domain name and discovered it is available you will be able to purchase it free with the Bluehost hosting plan. Nothing better than free!
2. FIND A DEPENDABLE WEB HOST:
What is a web host you ask? A web host stores your website and makes it accessible to the world-wide web. When I first thought about starting a blog I did research on the best web host to choose and I was always pointed in the direction of Bluehost. Why? Because Bluehost also offers a one click WordPress installation. What sounds complicated is made easier, and believe me exactly what I needed and maybe you too? Ready to get your food blog off the ground? Just click here to get started with Bluehost $3.95* (great deal going on now!) plus free domain name.
3 . INSTALL WORDPRESS:
That is what I use and I think it is the best! It is pretty easy, so if your web host is Bluehost just, click here to install WordPress on Bluehost.
4. INSTALL A WORDPRESS THEME:
There are many to choose from, so pick the one that suits you and your site the best. Take your time and choose one that not only catches your eye, but is well designed and is coded by someone who knows what they are doing and someone who is also open to answering questions you might have (believe me I certainly had a few questions). Remember also to find a good theme that is responsive not only to a laptop but also to tablets and smart phones. There are a lot of great themes out there that are easy to set up right out of the box, (these can save you time and sanity if you have no idea about editing codes etc) so spend some time checking things out and before you know it you will be posting your first recipe. Cost free to $69+.
5. SET UP A GOOGLE TOOLS:
The first thing to do is set up a google account and email for your blog. When you have completed this step then you can set up the following tools:
– Google Analytics: this will help you track blog traffic
– Webmaster tools: makes sure your website is functioning properly
(Remember you will have to install the tracking code in the above Google Analytics and Webmaster tools in your WordPress SEO, this is a plugin by Yoast
– Feedburner.google.com: allows your visitors to subscribe to your posts by RSS or email it also helps you keep track of your subscriber numbers.
6. PLUGINS THAT I USE AND THAT I WOULD LIKE TO RECOMMEND:
1. Akismet – Is probably the best way to protect your blog from comment spam, without CAPTCHAs. I don’t know anyone that likes CAPTCHAs.
2. Easy facebook likebox – Allows you to easily display a facebook like box fan page on your website using either widget or shortcode to increase facebook fan page likes.
3. Easy Recipe – Easy Recipe makes it so easy to enter, format and print recipes.
4. WordPress SEO by Yoast – I think the WordPress SEO by Yoast is the best and most complete SEO plugin that is available for free. You will need to take time to go through all the steps and set it up properly, though it will surely be worth your while.
5. Simple Social icons – A simple widget that will add your social icons to your blog.
6. WP Touch mobile – This one I just discovered and it is terrific, it will create a smooth polished mobile WordPress site with just a few clicks.
I would also like to add a few things that have helped me so much with the growth of my food blog and they are:
1. Tasty Food Photography by Lindsay from Pinch of Yum. I went from knowing absolutely nothing (but actually thinking I knew something!) to actually being quite proud, if I do say so myself of my food photos. Lindsay makes it easy and interesting at the same time.
So if you are thinking of starting your own food blog, remember people taste also with their eyes! You won’t regret purchasing this ebook. I certainly didn’t.
And of course who isn’t hoping to make some money from their food blog? This is another great investment, that has helped me immensely. How to monetize your food blog by Kiersten Frase of Oh My Veggies.
Even if someone had told me how much time and patience I would need to write my food blog, and believe me you need a lot of both, it still would not have stopped me. This is one of the most satisfying things I have ever done in my life (after having my kids of course). So seriously what are you waiting for to start your amazing Food blog with help from Bluehost. Have fun and let me know how it’s going!
Please note that this page contains affiliate links. I only link to products I trust and wholeheartedly recommend. Thank you for your support.