Gram’s Calzone with Sausage and Cheese
Gram's Calzone, use a store bought or homemade pizza dough, stuffed with shredded mozzarella and Italian sausage then rolled sprinkled with more mozzarella and then baked to cheesy perfection.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time50 mins
Servings: 15 slices
- 1 pound store bought pizza dough (1/2 kilo)
- 2-3 Italian Sausages (large) (remove the casing, approximately 2 cups chopped)
- 1/2-1 tablespoon fennel seed (optional)
- pinch of salt
- dash of paprika (I use a dash of hot pepper flakes)
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cups shredded mozzarella (200 grams, firm not fresh)
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella for the topping (30 grams, firm not fresh)
Preheat oven to 400F° (200C°) degrees.
In a medium frying pan sauté the sausage, fennel (if using), salt and paprika until brown, drain off fat and let cool.
When cool mix together the meat mixture, raw egg and mozzarella cheese (1 3/4 cups).
Un roll the pizza dough (9x10" / 24x26 cm) and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet , sprinkle with the sausage cheese mixture. Roll up, brush the top with a little olive oil and sprinkle with the 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella.
Bake in a 400° (200°) oven for approximately 15-20 minutes or until browned. Let sit 3 minutes then slice. Enjoy!
Calories: 175kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 34mg | Sodium: 425mg | Potassium: 55mg | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 115IU | Vitamin C: 0.3mg | Calcium: 82mg | Iron: 1.1mg