Italian Beef & Potato Stew
This Italian Beef and Potato Stew is an easy comfort food recipe. Tender beef and potatoes simmered in a tasty spiced light tomato sauce. The perfect one pot dinner.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 20 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion (minced)
- 1/4 cup pancetta (cubed)
- 1-2 stems rosemary (fresh)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 pound stewing beef (cut into chunks)
- 4-5 medium potatoes (peeled and cut into large chunks)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1-2 dashes pepper or hot pepper flakes
- 2-3 cups water or low sodium vegetable broth*
*If using water then add a low sodium bouillon cube.
In a large pot add the olive oil and minced onion, cook on medium heat until transparent (2-3 minutes). Add the pancetta, rosemary and garlic, sautee 2-3 minutues.
Add the beef (toss the beef with about 3-4 tablespoons of flour before adding) and cook on low heat for about 5-8 minutes, turning often so the meat browns and nothing burns.
Add the potatoes, tomato paste, oregano, hot pepper flakes and broth (or water and bouillon cube). Cook on low covered for about one hour or until tender and thickened. Taste for salt before serving.* Enjoy!
*Don't salt the stew before because the bouillon or broth can be salty.