A traditional Italian Recipe, this Italian Beef and Potato Stew is an easy comfort food recipe. Tender beef and potatoes simmered in a tasty spiced light tomato sauce. The perfect one pot dinner.
Italian Beef & Potato Stew
This is a Classic Italian recipe that you will find for lunch or dinner, at least a dozen times during the cooler weather in Italy. A true Comfort Food. Nothing like Beef Stew.
This was always a dish I looked forward to that my mother-in-law would make. Just the aroma while it is slow cooking on the stove, is enough to make your mouth water.
So dig in and enjoy every delicious mouthful!
How to make Beef & Potato Stew
- In a large pot on medium heat, add the oil and chopped onion, cook until the onion is transparent.
- Then add the chopped pancetta, rosemary and garlic, cook for a few minutes.
- Then add the beef chunks that have been dredged in flour, cook for about 5-8 minutes, until the beef has browned, stirring often so nothing burns.
- Add the chunks of potato, tomato paste, spices, vegetable broth or bouillon cube and water.
- Cook on low heat for about an hour or until tender and thickened.
- Taste for salt once the stew has cooked, because the bouillon or broth and the pancetta can be salty enough without adding more. Remember you can always add salt but you can’t take it away.
What is the best beef to use in a stew?
Your best choice is stewing beef which is trimmed and then cut into bite-size pieces. It is usually chuck or round tough cuts that become tender and flavourful when slowly simmered in a liquid.
The best cuts are either round cuts (bottom and eye) which are usually leaner than chuck (shoulder, leg and butt) and are perfect for a stew.
How to thicken a stew
Dredge your beef in flour before browning this will help to thicken the stew while it is cooking. This is what I always do, or if you prefer, you can mix a tablespoon of cornstarch with one tablespoon of water to form a paste.
Then add the paste to the stew. Stir until it is fully combined. Cook on medium heat for about two minutes to allow the stew to thicken.
How to store stew?
Make sure to place the stew in an airtight container when it is completely cool. It will keep for up to three or four days in the fridge.
It can also be frozen, be sure to freeze in a freezer safe container. It will keep for up to three months in the freezer. Thaw the stew overnight in the fridge before reheating.
So if the cooler weather has started to come your way, I hope you give this hearty Beef and Potato Stew a try and let me know what you think. Buon Appetito!
Italian Beef & Potato Stew
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion (minced)
- 1/4 cup pancetta (cubed)
- 1-2 stems rosemary (fresh)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 pound Boneless beef chuck steak cut into chunks
- 4-5 medium potatoes (peeled and cut into large chunks)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1-2 dashes pepper or hot pepper flakes
- 2-3 cups water or low sodium vegetable broth*
*If using water then add a low sodium bouillon cube.
- In a large pot add the olive oil and minced onion, cook on medium heat until transparent (2-3 minutes). Add the pancetta, rosemary and garlic, sautee 2-3 minutues.
- Add the beef (toss the beef with about 3-4 tablespoons of flour before adding) and cook on low heat for about 5-8 minutes, turning often so the meat browns and nothing burns.
- Add the potatoes, tomato paste, oregano, hot pepper flakes and broth (or water and bouillon cube). Cook on low covered for about one hour or until tender and thickened. Taste for salt before serving.* Enjoy!