A delicious Hearty Tortellini Soup, a simple soup made with a vegetable broth and spinach. Hearty and comforting. Perfect for dinner or lunch.
Hearty Tortellini Soup
THIS MONTH FOR MY LITTLE GET TOGETHER WITH MY THREE BLOGGER FRIENDS, WE DECIDED TO SHARE SOUP RECIPES!
Italians like to eat Tortellini not just in a Tomato Sauce but also in a simple Broth.
Tortellini in a Broth is a very popular first course in Italy, especially in winter time. But they are also an Italian tradition usually served in a capon broth on Christmas Day or on Boxing Day.
I have also discovered that Italians like to add a little more to the broth besides the Tortellini to make it a heartier soup.
A Substitute for Spinach
If you don’t like spinach then a good substitute would be swiss chard or even beet greens. Although these may have to be cooked a little longer.
This is a simple and quick recipe that can be served for either lunch or dinner.
More Delicious Soups & Stews
How to Store Cooked Soup
Left over Cooked soup should be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated, do not let it sit at room temperature for more than two hours.
The soup will last for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator.
You could also freeze the cooked Tortellini Soup in an airtight container. The soup will last up to 4-6 months in the freezer, it will last longer but the taste will not be as good.
Thaw the frozen Tortellini Soup in the fridge over night. Thawed soup will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days.
What to Serve with Tortellini Soup
Since the holidays are now over and we are trying to get back on track with simple meals that will keep us warm, because yes it is quite cool here in Italy too!
I think a Hearty Comforting Soup like this Tortellini Soup would be a good choice. Buon Appetito!
CLICK HERE TO SAVE THIS RECIPE TO MAKE LATER!
Hearty Tortellini Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 shallot (chopped)
- 4 cups vegetable or meat broth (1 liter)
- 1 can pelati tomatoes (skinned) (400 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 dashes pepper
- 6-8 ounces tortellini (meat) (300-400 grams)
- 6 1/2 cups raw spinach leaves (chopped)* (200 grams)
*If you don't like spinach then you can substitute with swiss chard or beet greens, although these might take a little longer to cook.
- In a large pot add the oil, minced garlic and chopped shallot, cook for approximately 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Then add the broth, tomatoes, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil (break up the tomatoes with a fork), stir to combine. Simmer for 20 minutes, then add the tortellini, cook as indicated on the package, one minute before they are cooked, add the chopped spinach and stir gently to combine. Taste for salt (add if necessary). Serve immediately, top with flaked or grated Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
THE TASTE CREATIONS BLOG HOP HAPPENS ON THE 1ST MONDAY OF EVERY MONTH. EVERY MONTH, MYSELF AND 4 OTHER BLOGGERS CHALLENGE OURSELVES TO MAKE SOMETHING WITH A CHOSEN INGREDIENT. HOPE YOU WILL CHECK OUT THEIR DELICIOUS RECIPES TOO. AND HAVE A GREAT WEEK EVERYONE!
TERRI AT OUR GOOD LIFE – French Onion Soup
NIKKI AT TIKKIDO – Instant Pot Chili
LAUREN AT MOM HOME GUIDE – Chicken Udon Soup
EVELYNE AT NEMCSOK FARMS – Ham & Potato Chowder