Chunky Thick Italian Beef Stew, full of big pieces of Beef and lots of fresh vegetables. All simmered together in a Delicious Italian Sauce.
Thick Italian Beef Stew
Here we are already in February, I know we always say it but it is absolutely incredible how time flies. Soon we will be ditching our heavy coats and hats and grabbing our flip-flops.
But hold on, not so fast. In fact here in Italy it is rainy and cold (well cold for us at least). Which means Comfort Food is still being served. And believe me you are going to love this Chunky Thick Italian Beef Stew.
I first tasted a Beef Stew like this when the Italian and I went to visit relatives in the North. My husband’s aunt made the best thick beef stew with peas I have ever tasted in my life.
More Beef Recipes you may enjoy!
I can remember eating boiled peas as a kid and I am telling you now Italians know what they are doing when they cook. Peas never tasted so good!
I love One-Pot-Dinners and this Simple Stew is one of them. Everything dumped in one pot, slow cooked to mingle all those amazing spices and veggies.
What is the best cut beef for stews?
- Chuck Beef, Chuck Shoulder, Chuck Roast or Beef Round Cuts.
- I prefer to buy a large piece, and cut it myself into bite size pieces (remove some of the fat if necessary.
- These are the cheaper cuts of beef and are perfect for slow cooking especially when making a soup or stew.
I love it thick especially when you serve Thick Italian Beef Stew with some crusty Italian bread. Or why not make some homemade Easy Focaccia Bread, perfect with this stew!
How to Make Beef Stew
- Dredge the cut up beef in flour.
- In a large pot on medium heat add olive oil and the beef and brown.
- Then add the remaining ingredients, garlic, tomato puree, salt, basil, oregano, bay leaf, carrots, peas and potatoes, bring to a boil then lower the heat and simmer half covered for approximately 30 minutes until veggies are tender.
- Remove lid, raise heat and cook you reach the desired thickness. Serve immediately.
If you like it more soupy then just cut down on the cooking time at the end. Buon Appetito!
Chunky Thick Italian Beef Stew
- 1 lb . stewing beef 500 grams, cut into 1/2-1 inch cubes
- 3/4 cup of tomato puree 204 grams
- 2 1/2 cups water 575 grams
- 1 bouillon cube if desired I used a vegetable cube
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 3/4 grams
- 1 teaspoon basil 1 gram
- 1 teaspoon oregano 1 gram
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-2 cloves of garlic sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil 27.6 grams
- 1 1/2 cups peas 225 grams, frozen
- 2 medium potatoes chopped
- 2-3 medium-large carrots chopped large
- hot pepper flakes to taste if desired
- Dredge beef chunks well in flour.
- In a large pot add 2 tablespoons olive oil, floured beef chunks and brown.
- Add garlic, tomato puree, salt, basil, oregano, bay leaf,hot pepper flakes, water,bouillon cube, carrots, peas and potatoes cover and bring to a boil on medium-high heat, lower heat, 1/4 uncover and simmer for approximately 30 minutes (until veggies are tender) uncover and raise heat cook until desired thickness. Serve immediately with Italian crusty bread. Enjoy!
Updated from February 2015