10 Minute Homemade Puff Pastry, so fast and easy and so much better than store bought. You will wonder why you didn’t do it sooner!
Homemade Puff Pastry
I have been dying to make puff pastry for years, since the first time I saw my sister-in-law make it.
Unfortunately I kept putting it off and putting it off because it was always just too much work and time consuming.
Be sure to watch the Video!
There was always something to be done and besides there was always the grocery store where I could pick up a really good pre-made puff pastry.
I was lucky enough to find this recipe on the Food Network website saved as the “Quickest puff pastry recipe. Now this was an amazing discovery. I can make puff pastry and save myself so much time and effort. Yeah I like that!
There are probably only about three Italian desserts that are my absolute favourites. I love a really good Crostata , Nutella Chocolate Layer Cake and of course Puff Pastry, which in my opinion is so under-rated.
This is a pastry that is flaky , crispy and buttery. And another bonus point is, that you can fill it with any filling that suits your tastes.
How to Make Puff Pastry
I used my food processor to bring this puff pastry dough together and it was so easy, a few pulses and you are ready to go!
One thing I noticed is you have to make sure to keep your surface lightly floured all the time, lightly flour your rolling-pin also. Of course your dough will have bits of butter throughout but don’t worry, that is what makes this dough flaky.
Puff Pastry Ham & Cheese Rollups
This time, I decided to make 2 recipes with the Homemade Puff Pastry, a savory and a sweet.
How to make a Savory Filling for Puff Pastry
With the first part, I rolled the dough into a rectangle, lined it with slices of Cooked Ham and Shredded Gruyere Cheese, although any cream cheese would work.
I rolled it up as tight as possible, wrapped it in plastic and refrigerated it for about 20 minutes.
Then with a very sharp knife I made 1/4 inch slices, placed them on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet, sprinkled a little more shredded cheese and baked them for about 20 minutes.
They make the perfect appetizers and were gone in minutes!
How to Make a Sweet Filling for Puff Pastry
The remaining dough I rolled the pastry into a circle and made 8 triangles, on each triangle, on the bottom (large part) I placed one or two thin slices of pear, some chopped walnuts and a sprinkling of chocolate chips.
I then rolled them up starting at the bottom (large part) and placed the on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
Puff Pastry Pear, Walnut & Chocolate Crescents
I brushed them with an egg wash and baked them for about 10-15 minutes. Let them cool and a little dusting of Powdered Sugar is all they need.
If pears aren’t to your liking then you could fill them with 2-3 apples slices tossed with a little brown sugar and cinnamon.
I hope you decide to give this 10 Minute Homemade Puff Pastry a go. Let me know what you think and how you filled yours. Enjoy!
10 Minute Homemade Puff Pastry + Recipes
- FOR THE PUFF PASTRY
- 1 1/4 cup very cold butter (salted)
- 1/2 cup very cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt**
- 2 cups flour
**If using salted butter then add 1/4 teaspoon salt if using unsalted butter than add 3/4 teaspoon salt.
HAM & CHEESE ROLL UPS
- 6-8 slices cooked Ham
- 1 1/4 cups Gruyere or cheese of choice (shredded)
PEAR, WALNUT & CHOCOLATE CHIP CRESCENTS
- 1/2 - 1 pear sliced (not too thick) (firm but ripe)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
MORE RECIPE IDEAS
DOUBLE CHEESE TWISTS
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup shredded cheese fontal or gruyere
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian Parsley
APPLE CINNAMON FILLING
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 apple peeled, cored and sliced thin
10 MINUTE PUFF PASTRY
- Using a food processor, fitted with the metal blade, add flour and salt to the bowl, then add 3/4 cup (170 grams) cold butter cut in cubes and pulse until butter is absorbed (about 10 to 12 one second pulses), then add the remaining cold butter (cubed) and pulse two or three times (no more) to combine, add the cold water and pulse four or five times just until the dough comes together to form a ball (really important not to over process).
- On a lightly floured surface place dough and knead lightly approximately 10 times. With a lightly floured rolling- pin (lightly flour the dough so it doesn't stick) roll into a rectangle approximately 12 x 18 inches (30 x 45 centimeters).
- Fold the dough in half and then half again and one last time, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1 - 2 hours (I left mine in the fridge for two hours).
HAM & CHEESE ROLL UPS
- Pre-heat oven to 350° (180° celsius)Remove from the fridge and on a lightly floured surface, using a lightly floured rolling-pin roll the dough (I cut the dough in two parts, refrigerate the unused dough until needed) into a rectangle (approximately 10 x 14 inches / 25 x 35 cm). I covered the dough with thin slices of cooked ham and sprinkled with shredded cheese.
- Roll up length wise as tight as possible and brush the edges with egg wash to seal. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate 20-30 minutes. Unwrap and slice with a sharp knife into 1/4 inch slices. Place on prepared cookie sheet, brush with the egg wash and sprinkle with more cheese, bake for approximately 15-20 minutes or until golden. Serve immediately.
PEAR, WALNUT & CHOCOLATE CRESCENTS
- Roll the remaining dough into a large circle, make 8-10 triangles. Place 1-2 slices of pear on the large part of the triangle, top with some chopped walnuts and chocolate chips. Roll up from the large part, place on prepared cookie sheet, brush with egg wash, sprinkle with a little sugar and bake for approximately 15 minutes or until golden. Let cool then dust with powdered / icing sugar. Enjoy.
DOUBLE CHEESE TWISTS
- In a small bowl mix together Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley, set aside. Roll (1/2 or 1/3) the dough into an 1/8" thick oval, sprinkle shredded cheese on the top half of oval, bring up the bottom half to cover the top, brush with the egg wash and sprinkle with parmesan cheese mixture, slice into 1/2 inch strips, twist and place on parchment paper lined cookie sheets. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until golden. Eat warm. Enjoy!
APPLE CINNAMON FILLING
- In a small bowl toss together, sliced apples, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll out the dough into a large rectangle or square 1/8 " thick, then cut into 6-8 squares. Top each square with 2-3 apple slices, brush the edges of the square with egg mixture. Fold over and seal. Brush tops of pastry with the egg wash, sprinkle with sugar and bake for approximately 20 minutes or until golden. Drizzle with a little frosting if desired.
- In a small bowl beat together the egg and water.
Thanks to the foodnetwork.com.
I am republishing this recipe from October 19, 2014 with photo and video updates.