Easy Fresh Lemon Squares, these tangy Lemon Squares are quick, easy and so delicious, made with a shortbread base and a fresh lemon filling. The Best bars you will taste.
This recipe for Easy Fresh Lemon Squares was given to me by my amazing cousin, who I can’t wait to see (soon!!) and I think they would be great to make for all the lemon-loving dessert people out there.
Funny thing is, my husband and I plant and plant lemon trees and the trees look beautiful, but no lemons. Very strange. But that doesn’t keep us from trying.
When we first arrived in Italy, 1 week after our wedding, we lived in a beautiful house that belonged to my brother-in-law and we planted, yup you guessed it, our first lemon tree and of course we never saw not even one lemon.
Eight years later we moved into our own home, and that lovely lemon tree started to produce and I mean produce tons of lemons! Lucky for them!
So here we are, 3 years later with a few nice green trees and unfortunately no lemons, maybe it is time to think about moving again… Thank goodness everyone we know has lemon producing trees.
And when I share these Lemon Squares or any of my Lemon Treats I certainly receive an overabundance of lemons.
Easy Fresh Lemon Squares
I love the smell of lemons and their taste, actually, I love everything about them. I even had a lemon cologne when I was a teenager and I think I might try to find myself a lemon cologne again.
Anyway let’s get back to those delicious, tasty, Lemon Squares. These are perfect as a dessert or even an afternoon snack, amazing with a cup of tea or serve to family or guests. Enjoy!
Easy Fresh Lemon squares
- 1 cup flour 128 grams
- 1/2 cup butter 125 grams
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar 32 grams
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar 200 grams
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 1 3/4 grams
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice 37 1/2 grams
- pinch of salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350° (175°)
- In a medium size bowl, beat butter and powdered sugar till combined add flour and beat again until a soft dough forms (approximately 1 1/2 minutes). Pat evenly onto the bottom of a 8x8 (20x20 centimeters) baking pan. Bake 20 minutes at 350° (175°). Remove from oven, but leave oven on.
- Meanwhile, beat together, eggs,granulated sugar, baking powder, fresh lemon juice and pinch of salt. Pour over baked crust and return to oven for 20-25 minutes at same temperature. (until center is set, I baked mine for 25 minutes, may need to go a bit longer), Cool on rack, cut into squares and remove from pan, dust with powdered sugar. Delicious, enjoy!