Shortbread Cookies are a must and these Lemon Shortbread are the perfect Lemon Lovers melt in your mouth Cookie. Delicious not just at Holiday Time!
I am a huge shortbread cookie lover! Never fail, every holiday season my Mom’s Shortbread Cookies would be front and centre.
And for good reason they are amazing.It was always hard to decide what were your favourite, because when you took a bite of one it instantly became your favourite until the next one came along.
So of course because of our love of all things Lemon, I knew a Lemon Shortbread Cookie was in our future.
I decided to add an extra touch of Lemon with a simple Lemon Glaze drizzled on top. And yes it was just what they needed!
What are the ingredients for Shortbread Cookies
Butter, lemon zest, flour, and powdered / icing / confectioners sugar, and sometimes cornstarch my Mom’s Shortbread uses cornstarch but these Lemon Shortbread do not.
Cornstarch is used in some shortbread because it helps to hold the cookie together and make a more tender cookie.
So you see, just a few ingredients to make a delicious melt in your mouth Christmas Cookie.
How to make the Perfect Shortbread Dough
Add the flour slowly, into the creamed (mixed) butter mixture, sometimes you need less flour and sometimes more.
Once it starts to come together move the dough to a flat surface and knead it together, then you can add more flour if needed.
If you find that your dough is too crumbly then add a little more butter to bring it together, a tablespoon at a time.
How to make Shortbread Cookies
These Lemon Shortbread are a one bowl cookie, no beating or creaming necessary.
In a large bowl using a wooden spoon mix together the softened butter, powdered sugar and zest until well combined. Then add the sifted flour a little at a time until completely combined.
Form into a ball and refrigerate for about 2 hours. Remove the dough from the fridge roll on a lightly floured flat surface and using your favourite cookie cutter cut out forms.
If it’s too cold then let it warm up a bit in order to roll it out.
How to Measure Flour
The correct way to measure flour is to spoon the flour into the cup measurement and level it off with the blade of a knife. The best flour to use for cut out cookies is a high protein all purpose flour, 12-14 % protein is what you are looking for.
Place them on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet, refrigerate for about 15 minutes and bake in a moderate oven for about 12 minutes.
Let the cookies cool completely and then drizzle with a simple Lemon Glaze. What I love about these Shortbread Cookies are that you can make them anytime in the year. Not just during the holidays.
You can use a round, square or any type of cookie cutter or just roll the dough into a log, refrigerate, then slice and bake. Fast and easy and the perfect melt in your mouth Lemon Shortbread.
Why Chill the Cookie Dough before Baking
The main reason for chilling the cookie dough before baking is to solidify the fat in the cookies.
As the cookies are baking, the chilled fat in the dough will take longer to melt then room temperature dough fat. Therefore the cookies will spread less.
How to make the Perfect Shortbread Base for Bar Cookies
There are some delicious Bar Cookies that call for a simple Shortbread Base such as Lemon Cheese Cake Bars or my personal favourites Coconut Jam Squares. All you need are three ingredients, butter, sugar and flour to make the perfect Shortbread base for a Bar Cookie.
5 Must Bake Shortbread Cookies
Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without shortbread so here are another five recipes that should definitely be on your baking list! Fast, easy and melt in your mouth perfection!
- Almond Crescent Cookies
- The Best Simple Two Way Shortbread Cookies
- Easy Chocolate Chip Whipped Shortbread
- Shortbread Cookies One Dough Two Ways
- Chocolate Hazelnut Shortbread Cookies
- Chocolate Shortbread Cookies
So if Shortbread Cookies are a must on your Holiday Baking List, then I hope you give one or even all of these a try, and let me know how you like them. Enjoy!
CLICK HERE TO SAVE THIS RECIPE TO MAKE LATER!
Lemon Shortbread Cookies + 5 More Must Bake Shortbread Recipes
FOR THE SHORTBREAD
- 1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons butter (softened) (I use salted) (137.5 grams)
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons powdered / icing sugar (75 grams)
- zest 1 lemon
- 1 1/4 cups + 3 tablespoons all purpose flour (170 grams)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/4 cups powdered / icing sugar (150 grams)
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon whole / whipping cream or milk
- Sift together the flour and salt.
- In a large bowl with a wooden spoon mix together the butter, sugar and zest. Add the sifted flour mixture a little at a time, stirring between additions. Once the dough starts to come together (even if you haven't add all the flour), move to a flat surface and knead into a compact ball. (If you need extra flour add one tablespoon at a time, if the dough is too crumbly add more butter, a little at a time).
- Shape the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic and refrigerate 2 hours. You can also shape the dough into a log or two, refrigerate then slice and bake.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out the dough to about 1/4 inch thickness and cut out cookies. Place cookies on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and refrigerate for about 15 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C).
- Bake cookies for approximately 12 minutes. Let cool completely before drizzling with glaze. Enjoy.
- In a small bowl combine powdered sugar, lemon juice and cream, if too thin add more sugar too thick add either more lemon juice or cream.