Easy Focaccia Bread, a delicious alternative to bread, a pizza type dough topped with olive oil, salt and fresh rosemary then baked to perfection.
Focaccia or Pizza? Good question, I love both. When I make pizza I usually make it loaded with veggies or light and no tomato sauce or as it is called in Italy, Pizza Bianca.
But my Easy Focaccia I like simple, drizzled with olive oil and salt and sprinkled with some fresh rosemary leaves and then baked.
What is Focaccia Bread?
- Focaccia can be either a very soft dough or less soft but with a lightly crunchy crust.
- Sometimes the dough may have a little malt or honey added.
- A focaccia is drizzled with olive oil and rock salt before baking
- The dough will remain soft with a crunchy bottom, thanks to the olive oil that is drizzled on the bottom of the pan.
Focaccia Bread is perfect for making a simple sandwich. Italians love to slice the focaccia in the middle.
Open it up and fill it with some amazing Italian prosciutto, mortadella or salami and a slice of cheese preferably something strong like a goat cheese. So good!
This Easy Focaccia is so delicious and goes great with a bowl of chili or your favourite stew or soup.
The Perfect Stews or Soups to serve with Focaccia
Not only that, but why not make a couple and cut them up and fill a basket to be served along with a cheese or cold cut platter during the holiday get togethers? Everyone needs a little Italian.
However you decide to eat or serve this Focaccia Recipe I hope you enjoy it. Buon Appetito!
Easy Focaccia Bread Recipe
- FOR THE DOUGH
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1 cup water (warm not hot)
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- FOR THE TOPPING
- tablespoon coarse salt
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary (leaves removed)
- In a small bowl add honey and warm water (stir to combine) then sprinkle the yeast on top. Let sit 5 minutes and then stir to combine.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour and salt, add the yeast mixture and the olive oil, combine then move to a flat surface and knead until dough becomes smooth and elastic, form into a ball. **
- ** This can be made using a stand up mixer with the dough hook, knead the dough on medium speed until smooth and elastic (approximately 7 minutes), move to a flat surface and knead a couple of times into a ball.
- Place dough into a lightly oiled glass bowl (and swirl the dough so that it is lightly covered with oil). Cover the bowl and let the dough rise 1 hour in a warm draft free area.
- Pre-heat oven to 400° (200° celsius), lightly oil a 12 inch skillet or pizza pan.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and punch it down a few times. Place dough in a 12 inch skillet or pizza pan spread the dough, then cover it and let it rest for approximately 15 minutes. Spread the dough again if needed. Using your finger tips or knuckles make indentations in the dough.
- Drizzle the top of the dough with 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil (brush the olive oil to cover the dough) then sprinkle with rock salt and rosemary leaves. Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes (check after 15 minutes). Serve warm. Enjoy!