Best Pizza Dough, this basic Homemade Pizza Dough Recipe is the only pizza recipe you will ever need. Make it by hand or in your stand up mixer.
Best Pizza Dough
Authentic Italian Pizza never tasted so good. Everything you need to know to make this your family’s new favourite dinner idea.
In your house what day is pizza day?
If you are like us it could mean any day. Sometimes Friday or maybe even Saturday but this week it was Sunday!
This time I made 3 different types of Pizza, all easy and all delicious.
Be Sure to Watch the Video!
In Italy it is so easy to get a good pizza dough. Sometimes I would stop at my local bakery (forno) and pick up a pound or two of dough.
But when I tasted a pizza made with this specific dough, I thought no matter how good the bakery dough was, it was now a thing of the past for me.
That pizza made me determined to make my own pizza dough from then on.
With so many ways to make pizza, with a tomato sauce, with Fresh Tomatoes or even just veggies, this is the Best Pizza dough to use.
What is the best flour for making Pizza Dough?
To tell the truth some people will swear by bread flour, but I always us all purpose (11% protein or higher). It’s not necessarily the flour but how you go about making the pizza that counts!
As it happened awhile ago we were invited to lunch at my friend’s Aunt and she made this fabulous pizza. It was served as an appetizer and not the main dish.
So many main dishes were served that day that I lost count after a while. So I asked my friend’s aunt for her recipe, Italians are wonderful about that.
I believe for an Italian it is probably one of the best compliments to be asked for a recipe, so ask I do and often.
If I am lucky enough once in a while they might even come over and give me a cooking lesson in my own kitchen, nothing better than that!
The only thing is most of the time these recipes are from dishes that are made so often (which makes them the best of all I must say) that they don’t measure anything.
It is all “oh a little bit of this or a handful of that”.
More Delicious Pizza Recipes to try.
Needless to say this pizza dough was one of those recipes that was passed down for I can’t tell you how many years. But trust me it is a delicious, amazing pizza dough.
Make it thin crust or thick crust whatever suits you, then you can top it with any fresh ingredients you desire.
With this recipe I made two large and one small pizza.
Different Pizzas to make
One of the pizzas I made was an all veggie one, with fresh, halved, cherry tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms and onions.
The second one I sautéed a couple of Italian sausage (casing removed) with sliced mushrooms, peppers and a small onion and topped it on a pureed tomato sauce (with just a few spices and a little olive oil).
And the third I topped with chopped fresh tomatoes and sliced black olives and of course all the pizzas were topped with shredded firm mozzarella after they were baked.
How to make the Best Pizza Dough
-When making Homemade Pizza Dough be sure to knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic.
-Let it rise in a lightly oiled bowl (make sure to turn the dough in the bowl so it gets covered lightly in oil), cover the bowl with plastic wrap and a clean large kitchen cloth.
-Place the bowl in a warm free from drafts area and let it rise for about two hours.
-Always use olive oil.
-Once the dough has risen, divide it into 3 rounds, make sure to cover the rounds with the kitchen cloth and let it rest for about 20 minutes.
This way your dough will spread and not spring back when you try to fit it into the pan.
-No knead to roll the dough with a rolling pin, clean hands work best.
So however you like your pizza, thick crust, thin crust, double cheese, veggie or pepperoni I hope you try it with this pizza dough. Buon Appetito!
Best Pizza Dough
- 2 cups warm water 472 grams
- pinch sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 1/4 cups all purpose flour 671 grams
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- In the bowl of your stand up mixer (or a large bowl if you knead by hand) add warm water then add yeast and sugar, let sit for 5 minutes, then stir to combine.
MIXING BY MACHINE
- Add the olive oil, flour and salt,with the hook attachment start to combine on low speed, scrape the hook and then raise to medium speed and knead for approximately 5-7 minutes or until you have a smooth elastic dough (scrape the hook halfway through kneading).
MIXING BY HAND
- If you are mixing by hand then with a fork mix until the dough starts to come together. On a lightly floured surface remove dough from the bowl and knead until dough is smooth and elastic approximately 10 minutes (if dough is really sticky add a little extra flour).
- Place in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap and a large clean kitchen towel, leave in a warm draft- free place until doubled in bulk, approximately 2 hours.**
- Pre heat oven to 450° (250° celsius). Punch dough down a few times and divide into 3 balls, let dough rest for 20 minutes.
- Place dough in desired pizza or cookie sheets (lightly oiled) and fit dough into desired shapes (using your clean hands).
- Top with your favourite toppings (without the cheese), bake for approximately 15-20 minutes (until crust is golden) and then top with grated mozzarella cheese and bake for three more minutes or until cheese is melted. Enjoy!
- **At this point, dough can also be refrigerated, place in plastic bag, remove air and tie securely up to 24 hours.
EASY PIZZA SAUCE
- In a medium bowl add a can of diced or pureed tomatoes, add 1 teaspoon oregano, 1 teaspoon basil, a sprinkle of salt, tablespoon of olive oil and stir to combine. Top pizza dough.
FRESH TOMATO SAUCE
- Chop fresh tomatoes (grape, roma or cherry tomatoes) remove seeds, toss with 1 teaspoon oregano, 1 teaspoon basil (or even fresh) salt and a tablespoon or 2 or olive oil.
STIRRED FRIED VEGGIES & ITALIAN SAUSAGE
- In a medium frying pan add Italian sausage (casing removed and chopped) and fry until starting to brown, add thinly sliced, onion, pepper and mushrooms and a drizzle of olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, basil, salt and pepper to taste, cook on medium for approximately 10 minutes. Use as topping for pizza (on the sauce and then bake).