Ok, I am going to jump on the band wagon and offer an Italian appetizer, Pizzette Mini Calzoni, for Super bowl Sunday.
Even though I live in a country where there is only soccer and I repeat there is only Soccer. For 12 months of the year, I kid you not.
You have to understand Italians are as serious about their soccer team as they are about their cars, cell phones and food.
Pizzette Mini Calzoni
Oh how I miss North American sports. Baseball, football and most of all hockey. I know how serious Superbowl Sunday is, so I baked up some serious appetizers.
Pizzette Mini Calzoni, pizzette in English means little pizzas, so what is better than that? Maybe a delicious mini calzone?
Pizzette Mini Calzoni can be so fast and easy to put together. Just make the circles with your fingers, no need to roll the dough.
You can either use a good pizza dough ready to go from your local bakery or pizza place, or if you prefer, make your own. You can try my Best Pizza Dough.
I bought 1 1/2 pounds (700 grams) of pizza dough and I made approximately 18 pizzette and 3 mini calzoni. Of course depends on what size you decide to make them.
Pizzette are really popular here in Italy at parties and get togethers. In my family we really enjoy calzoni so why not make both, Pizzette Mini Calzoni?
It’s the toppings that make these so darn delicious. How about doing something different and add a potato topping to your pizzette? You will be so glad you did. Enjoy! And Happy Superbowl.
Pizzette Mini Calzoni
- TOMATO TOPPING
- 1 1/2 pounds pizza dough 700 grams
- 14 cherry tomatoes or 6 or 7 plum tomatoes seeded and chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon basil 1/2 gram
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano 1/2 gram
- 1/4 teaspoon salt 1 gram
- 2 tablespoons olive oil 26 grams
- POTATO TOPPING
- 1 medium to large potato very thinly sliced
- 1-2 leaves sprigs rosemary removed
- EXTRA TOPPINGS
- 5 or more pitted black olives chopped
- 1 slices or 2 of pancetta cubed
- 1 cup of grated firm mozzarella 200 grams
- Pre-heat oven to 450° (250° celsius).
- In a medium pot of boiling water boil the sliced potatoes for approximately 8-10 minutes (until tender but not mushy), drain, rinse with cold water and towel dry.
- In a medium bowl toss together all the ingredients for the Tomato Topping.
- Remove small pieces of pizza dough and form into small circles for the Pizzette (they don't have to be perfect, remember pizza is a rustic dish) and larger circles for the calzoni.
- Top with some tomato, pancetta/ tomato, olives / potato, rosemary / potato,rosemary,pancetta (if you are using just potato then sprinkle a tiny bit of salt)/ etc, drizzle with a little olive oil and bake for approximately 10 minutes or when dough becomes golden, top with grated mozzarella and bake 1-2 minutes, serve immediately.
- Remove pieces of pizza dough to form bigger circles for the mini Calzoni, on one side place the topping, I made mine with tomato topping, pancetta or olives and grated mozzerella (remember to add the cheese). Fold the empty side over and seal with a fork. Drizzle with a little olive oil. Bake for approximately 10-15 minutes or until golden. Enjoy!