Baked Zucchini Stuffed with Meat, nothing says Italian Summer Dinner Dish then this. A delicious meatball mixture stuffed inside a hollowed out Zucchini and then baked to perfection. An Easy and Tasty Summer Italian Meal.
But as much as I love the fall season, I still have a few summer recipes up my sleeve or should I say in my oven.
Between Tomatoes, Zucchini and Eggplant I am just not ready to move onto cinnamon and maple syrup just yet. So for another couple of weeks I offer you some of my best Summer (because technically it still is summer) dishes.
Zucchini Stuffed with Meat, was one of the first recipes I tasted in mother-in-law’s house on my first visit to Italy. Little did I know how this dish would easily become one of my favourite Zucchini Summer Recipes.
I really prefer it baked without any sauce and lots of cheese instead. So amazing, it is definitely a must try.
To tell the truth I really don’t have much of a memory of ever eating zucchini in my house in Canada, squash yes zucchini no. My mother would make squash with a tasty rice stuffing, but she was not a zucchini lover.
Too bad , because we didn’t know what we were missing, and just maybe a taste of this Baked Zucchini Stuffed with Meat and she would have changed her mind!
Although I know a few people who will argue with that, my youngest daughter in fact.
Baked Zucchini Stuffed with Meat
This delicious Meat Stuffed Zucchini is so easy, it’s stuffed with my meatball recipe (without the sauce of course) and usually cooked slowly on the stove.
Although lately I have changed it up a bit, to make it even more delectable, I slice the zucchini lengthwise, place the stuffing on top, cook it slowly in the pan and then sprinkle with a good amount of Parmesan Cheese and broil it in the oven for a few minutes. Perfect.
I always let the zucchini brown a bit and it becomes so tender and delicious. I suggest serving it with a salad, it’s definitely the best choice! Buon Appetito!
Zucchini stuffed with meat
- 5 medium zucchini not large because they are too pulpy
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- pinch or 2 of salt for sprinkling over the stuffed zucchini
- 1 cup water
- MEATBALL RECIPE
- 2 slices of bread I use day old Italian if extra thick use 1 1/2 slices
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 -1 clove garlic minced
- Cut the zucchini in half (it is easier to hollow them out),hollow out the zucchini, rinse and set aside. (the pulp is not used)
- In a small bowl full of water soak the bread for about 30 seconds, remove the crust and squeeze out excess water, crumble and place in a medium bowl, add the ground beef, egg, parmesan cheese, spices and garlic, mix well with your hands. Stuff the meatball mixture into the zucchini.
- In a medium to large frying pan add 2 tablespoons of oil and place the stuffed zucchini in the pan, sprinkle with a pinch or 2 of salt and drizzle with approximately 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the water, cover (leave a sliver uncovered) and cook on low to medium heat till zucchini is tender and water has evaporated. Raise the heat, and uncover and cook till zucchini is browned, turn and brown the other side. (golden brown) serve immediately, Enjoy!