Zucchini Cream Cheese Pasta, so creamy you won’t believe how quick it is to make. And how delicious too. The Perfect Weeknight quick Pasta Dish. A light vegetarian dinner idea!
Needless to say this is a strange summer we are heading into, but that doesn’t mean we can’t create delicious dinners to eat or share with friends and family (eventually). So with the start of Summer it’s great once again to taste all the fresh grown veggies, whether you grow them or your local farmer does. And one vegetable that I have grown to love over the years is Zucchini. Especially served in this simple pasta recipe! It is a good one!
So easy and ready in 20 minutes. It has become a family favourite. I first tried it when my sister-in-law made it, she used whole fat cream cheese, but it is just as delicious with the light version.
How to make it
In a medium to large sized pan add the olive oil, the chopped zucchini, oregano, salt, parsley and water, cook stirring occasionally until water has evaporated and the zucchini is tender and lightly browned.
While the zucchini is cooking, cook the pasta al dente in boiling salted water. When zucchini is done, add the cream cheese and a little pasta water. Mix gently until the zucchini and cream cheese are well combined and creamy.
Immediately add the cooked pasta and gently combine. Serve immediately. Top with chopped fresh parsley and parmesan cheese if desired.
Is Zucchini good for you?
Yes it is, it contains vitamins C and A, potassium, folate, and fiber. All of these help to maintain a healthy heart by decreasing the risk of a stroke and helping to reduce high blood pressure, and lower cholesterol.
What size zucchini should you use?
It can be made with either small zucchini or the larger ones. Just be sure to remove some of the inside pulp if you use the larger ones, cut the zucchini lengthwise then in quarters and using a sharp knife slice down the middle to remove the excess pulp, then chop into small pieces or the size you prefer.
Can I add extras to the dish?
Adding some sliced Italian sausages or even a few shrimp or scallops can make this a heartier dish if you wish.
So if you are looking for a quick, easy and delicious Pasta Dish, I hope you try this Zucchini Cream Cheese Pasta and let me know how you like it. Buon Appetito!
Zucchini Cream Cheese Pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 small to medium sized zucchini diced
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley or fresh chopped (2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup water (125 grams)
- 1/2 cup cream cheese light or regular (room temperature) (125 grams)
- 3 cups cooked penne pasta*, approximately 1 3/4 - 2 cups dried (200-275 grams) (400-490 grams)
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley for garnishing
*approximately 1 3/4 - 2 cups dried pasta (200-275 grams)
- In a medium to large sized pan add the olive oil, the chopped zucchini, oregano, salt, parsley and water, cook stirring occasionally until the water has evaporated and the zucchini is tender and lightly browned.
- While the zucchini is cooking, cook the pasta al dente in boiling salted water. When the zucchini is done, add the cream cheese and 1/4 ladle full of salted pasta water, mix gently until zucchini and cream cheese are well combined and creamy, immediately add cooked pasta, and gently mix. Serve immediately. Top with chopped fresh parsley and parmesan cheese if desired. Enjoy!
Updated August 28, 2014.