This creamy Risotto is made with fresh Zucchini and herbs, cream and freshly grated Parmesan. The perfect Italian Main Dish.
Creamy Italian Zucchini Risotto
Until I came to Italy I had never tasted a Risotto, sure we ate rice, my Mom made an amazing Rib Dish which she would serve with rice. But never a Risotto.
Now I have to say I have eaten many a Risotto, from Zucchini, to Squash to my favourite Risotto alla Crema di Scampi (Prawns).
When I watch cooking shows, they always state how difficult it is to make a risotto, but I disagree. All it needs is time, patience, care and a couple of pots, and it is soooo worth it.
And I think if this is your first time making a Risotto, then the best and easiest Risotto to try is this Creamy Italian Zucchini Risotto.
Start off by sautéeing your sliced zucchini, onion and garlic in a little olive oil until golden. And just make sure that when you are cooking your rice to stir and continually add liquid so it doesn’t dry out and stick to the pan.
This we absolutely do not want to happen!
Once it is cooked and still a little creamy you add the rest of the ingredients, cook an extra couple of minutes, top with some freshly grated Parmesan and chopped Parsley.
So when you have an hour to devote to a delicious heavenly Italian Dish, this Zucchini Risotto will not disappoint. Buon Appetito!
More Delicious Zucchini Recipes
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (26 grams)
- 3-4 small zucchini sliced
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water (60 grams)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter (21 grams)
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked arborio rice (235 grams)
- 1 bouillon cube (vegetable)
- 4 1/2-5 cups water
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (60 grams)
- extra salt to taste
In a medium size pan add olive oil, zucchine, onion, garlic, oregano, parsley, salt and 1/4 cup water, cook uncovered over medium low heat, stirring occasionally until the zucchini are tender (and a little golden) and water has evaporated, (approximately 15-20 minutes, after about 15 minutes if there is still a lot of water remaining turn heat up a little), when done, remove from heat and with a fork coarsely mash the zucchini mixture.
In a large pot add water and bouillon cube bring to a boil until combined. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot on medium low heat melt the butter, add the rice and stir to combine add continuously one cup at a time** bouillon water, as water evaporates and rice cooks, (this can take up to 30 minutes) stirring continuously. When rice is cooked make sure that it remains slightly moist and creamy, turn down heat to low gently fold in the zucchini mixture (taste for salt, add if necessary) and then gently fold in a tablespoon of butter until combined, then add the cream, mix gently together, turn off heat, and serve immediately with freshly grated parmesan cheese and fresh parsley if desired. Enjoy!
**add the liquid a cup at a time (because you may not need all the liquid listed if your rice cooks quicker) and there should be a little liquid remaining in the rice when you add more liquid because you don't want the rice to stick to the pan.