Healthy Zucchini Cake Donuts with Light Cream Cheese Glaze, a fast and easy cake donut, moist and delicious made with Greek Yogurt and shredded Zucchini, topped with a light cream cheese glaze makes these Zucchini Cake Donuts the perfect Snack or Breakfast Donut.
If you have ever planted Zucchini then you know what a not so lovely plant it is. They are huge and prickly and have giant leaves. How many times have I said “ouch” while trying to move a few leaves aside to get a zucchini!
But they produce if you are lucky so many veggies, depending of course on how many plants you have. Sometimes small which are perfect for a yummy Pasta Dish, and if you prefer medium zucchini then why not make a delicious Zucchini Parmesan.
And if you are like me you always seem to find a large if not huge zucchini hidden out of sight.
Large zucchini are perfect for making Zucchini Patties or a Breakfast Sweet Loaf or even these soft delicious Zucchini Cake Donuts. And of course you can’t forget to pick a few flowers and make one of the best Appetizers ever, Stuffed Zucchini Flowers.
My husband and I didn’t plant much of a garden this year. My youngest daughter and I will be heading to Canada soon to visit with family and friends. How exciting we can’t wait.
Yes we are leaving the Italian behind (he continues to remind us of this every day 😉 ), who unfortunately has to stay in Italy.
Therefore we decided just some lettuce and lots and lots of tomatoes will be it for us this year. But we still receive other wonderful veggies from my sister-in-law, including a couple of large zucchini.
Zucchini Cake Donuts with Light Cream Cheese Frosting
I had other ideas in my head for the fate of these two, but I ended up making these Zucchini Donuts. My husband is always looking for something not too sweet for breakfast and these ended up being perfect.
I also wanted something on the healthy side too, so with the addition of zucchini why not add a little Greek Yogurt? In my opinion the yogurt gives them a nice softness and a little tang.
And what I really love about Cake Donuts are they made so quickly, 20 minutes and they are made, baked and on the table. Can’t get much better than that.
Giving them a little more sweetness I decided to top them with a light cream cheese frosting, which I must say was amazing. A cup of tea or coffee and you have the perfect afternoon snack.
So when you are looking for something sweet but healthier than your average donut. I think you will love these soft, fast and easy Zucchini Cake Donuts. Enjoy!
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter melted and cooled
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons greek yogurt plain
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- 3 tablespoons powdered/icing sugar
- 1/2 cup light cream cheese remove from fridge 30 minutes before using
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons milk
Pre-heat oven to 350° (180° celsius). Lightly grease and flour a 6 donut hole baking pan.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
- In a medium bowl stir together melted butter, egg, greek yogurt and milk until combined then add zucchini and stir gently to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix just until smooth.
- Pour batter into a pastry bag and fill the donut pan 3/4 full. Bake approximately 10 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting.
- Whisk powdered/icing sugar, cream cheese, vanilla and milk until smooth. Spread on cooled donuts. Enjoy!