Italian Chickpea Soup is a delicious and healthy Soup Recipe. The perfect Comfort food soup for cold Fall or Winter days. A tasty lunch or dinner soup idea.
This Chickpea Soup is full of carrots, celery, fresh herbs and chickpeas. Pick your favourite short pasta and make a big pot full!
Italian Chickpea Soup is one of our favourites that I make at least once a week in the colder months. I make a big pot full so we even have enough for dinner too!
Today is one of those days or should I say another one of those days with no sun. It has been raining and I am not kidding for a month!
Some people say better rain than snow, but I am not too sure about that! Whenever days like this happen isn’t it wonderful to sit down to a nice big steamy bowl of Soup?
We are a soup loving family, the more veggies the better! Sometimes there is nothing like it, especially a soup full of Chickpeas, just like this Italian Chickpea Soup.
More Delicious Soup Recipes you may enjoy!
If you have never tried them before this is a delicious Soup Recipe to start with. Very easy. The best way is to buy some dry chickpeas and soak them overnight. I would not recommend canned for this soup.
Rinse and drain them and add them to a big pot with a little tomato purée, spices and chopped carrots and celery. A little like a Chickpea Tomato Soup.
Let it all cook slowly and when everything is cooked add a little more water and your favourite short Pasta.
Believe me this will become one of your favourite Winter soups, topped with a sprinkle of freshly grated Parmesan Cheese and you can’t get better than that!
What a delicious way to pass those dreary Winter days. Buon Appetito!
Italian Chickpea Soup
- 1 cup dried chick peas soaked overnight in 5 cups of water garbanzo beans, rinse before cooking (2 cups soaked)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 -2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2 carrots (chopped)
- 1 -2 celery stalks (chopped)
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- dash of thyme
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley
- hot pepper flakes to taste
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 4 1/2 cups of water
- 1 cup dried small pasta (I used small wheels)
- In a medium pot add olive oil, garlic, carrots, celery, salt, basil, oregano, thyme, hot pepper flakes, tomato puree, water and chick peas. Cook over medium heat till boiling, stirring till all ingredients are combined, once boiling reduce heat and continue cooking, stirring occasionally.
- Cook for approximately 50 to 60 minutes (don't be scared to taste, you must taste, you have to taste for salt and doneness). Once the beans are tender, add another cup of water (depending how soupy you like it you may want to add more water) bring to a boil and immediately add the small pasta (this is where you must taste again for salt) again stirring occasionally (so pasta doesn't stick to the bottom) and cook till al dente (about 5 minutes for small pasta).
- When done, turn off heat, serve immediately in soup bowls, topped with freshly grated parmesan cheese if desired. Enjoy!
Republished from February 4,2014.