Easy Lentils and Sausage Soup is a Yummy Fall Soup full of Italian Sausage, Lentils and Fresh Veggies. Healthy, Filling and Delicious. The Perfect Dinner Soup.
Ahhh comfort food, probably one of the best food dishes to eat. I have to say this Lentils and Sausage soup is one of my favourite Comfort Dishes.
Whether I make an all Veggie Dish or add meat or as in this case Italian Sausages, beans are a must have staple in my home.
In Italy I have probably tasted more than my share of beans, from fresh to dried there are so many to choose from. I now appreciate the huge selection available whether Italian or North American.
They are all worth trying at least once.
Easy Lentils and Sausage Soup
This Lentils and Sausage Soup is served just after midnight on New Years in Italy, it is considered a good luck dish which is supposed to bring you lots of money in the New Year! Haha I am still waiting on that one.
The good thing about dried lentils is you don’t have to soak them over night. You can cook them right away, although they say to make them easier to digest and to speed up the cooking time, I let them soak for an hour before cooking.
I also pre-boil the Italian sausage for about 10 minutes to remove some of the extra fat and in my opinion the Lentils and sausage soup has a lighter taste because of that.
Of course you don’t have to boil them if you don’t want, you decide. As with a lot of Italian soups and stews don’t forget to serve with a nice crusty Italian bread to soak up all the sauce and a nice white Italian wine doesn’t hurt!
So here’s to Italian comfort food. Buon Appetito!
The perfect Healthy, Hearty Fall Soup. Full of Fresh Veggies, Italian Sausage, Lentils and Spices.
- 1 1/4 cups lentils 250 grams
- 3 Italian sausages sliced into bite size pieces
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 clove of garlic chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil 26 grams
- 3/4 cup tomato puree 170 grams
- 4-5 cups of water 945-1181 grams
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 grams
- 1 teaspoon oregano 3/4 gram
- 1 teaspoon basil 3/4 gram
- pinch thyme
- dash or 2 of hot pepper flakes if desired
- In a medium bowl add lentils and cover with water, let sit for one hour, drain and rinse with water.
- In a medium pot add the quartered Italian sausages and cover with water, boil for about 10-15 minutes, then drain.
- In a medium pot add olive oil, garlic and chopped onion saute for 2 minutes, then add the rest of the ingredients, stirring to combine. Bring to a boil on medium heat, then 3/4 cover, lower heat and simmer for approximately 45 minutes, stirring occasionally until carrots and lentils are tender and liquid has thickened. If you prefer a thinner soup then you can add more water. Enjoy!