Italian Green Bean Recipe, is a simple Italian vegetable side dish. Healthy Green beans tossed with olive oil and chopped garlic. Sometimes simple is the best!
As with most of my Italian recipes this was first tasted in my mother-in-law’s kitchen. I said it once and I will say it again, Italians can make anything delicious with the least amount of ingredients and no sauces or gravies involved.
You taste what should be tasted, and all the ingredients compliment each other.
What types of Green Beans can I use?
Green beans, string beans, wax beans and snap beans are basically the same thing and these will all work in the recipe. You could also use Haricots which are French beans. They are a little slimmer, so they will take less time to cook.
Tips for making your Green Bean Recipe perfect:
- Make sure when you choose the green beans they should be fresh, firm and snap when you break them in half.
- Trim the ends off the beans and if you wish remove the string that runs down the bean. I don’t because it really doesn’t bother us.
- Chop your garlic very small or mince it.
- Use a good quality olive oil since you will be eating it raw.
- And don’t forget the salt!
Do I have to use fresh beans?
Naturally fresh beans are best, but frozen can also be used, especially in the winter when fresh beans are hard to find. But please do not use canned beans ever!
What are the ingredients for this Green Bean Recipe?
- Green Beans
And if you are like the Italian, a splash of Balsamic or Wine Vinegar is the perfect extra! So you could always leave the vinegar on the table for whoever has the desire to give it a try.
More Delicious Italian Vegetable Recipes
- Italian Grilled Eggplant
- Roman Style Artichoke Recipe
- Homemade Oven Dried Tomatoes
- Preserving Green Beans Italian Style
- Pan Fried Green Beans with Bacon / Pancetta
Then it only takes 30 seconds to toss everything together and you’ll be asking yourself how something so easy can be so delicious. I can honestly say in my house green beans are the first to go, everyone loves them!
Oh and remember, never be afraid of the garlic, it adds so much flavour and can easily be removed. Nobody has to eat it, although my husband continues to tell us about the great benefits of garlic!
What are the Health Benefits of Garlic?
According to Healthline – There are 11 Health benefits of eating garlic and here are a few, it is highly nutritious and very few calories, garlic can combat the common cold, it can help reduce blood pressure, it improves cholesterol levels which can lower the risk of heart disease and it may help bone health. So eat your garlic!
How to make a Simple Green Bean Recipe
- Pick tender green beans
- clean by removing the ends
- rinse in cold water
- cook in boiling water just until al dente
- Drain well and immediately toss with finely chopped garlic, salt and olive oil.
- Serve immediately
What to serve with Green Beans?
You are probably thinking why is she pushing these green beans? Why? Because I never liked green beans before and I can guarantee any green-bean-hater will change their minds after just one taste.
So start boiling that water and let’s eat green beans. Buon Appetito!
Simple Italian Green Bean Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds green beans (680 grams)
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 clove large garlic chopped or sliced
- balsamic vinegar if desired
- Clean the green beans by removing the ends and rinsing in cold water.
- In boiling water (unsalted) cook the green beans until tender (al dent / 10 to 15 minutes), drain and immediately toss gently with salt, garlic and olive oil. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Updated from February 11, 2018.