Spaghetti, Aglio, Olio e Peperoncino or also known as Spaghetti with Garlic and Oil is probably one of the most popular Italian Pasta Dishes. Made with only 4 ingredients, this fast and easy recipe is simple yet delicious.
Oil and Garlic Pasta
When I think of authentic Italian pasta dishes, this has to be one of the first that comes to mind. Spaghetti Aglio, Olio e Peperoncino is probably one of the simplest and easiest pasta dishes to make.
And needless to say one of the most delicious.
How to Make Spaghetti with Oil and Garlic
- While your pasta is cooking in boiling salted water.
- In a large pan add the olive oil, chopped garlic and a good dash or two of hot pepper flakes.
- Cook for approximately 2-3 minutes, stirring to combine.
- Add cooked spaghetti and a little pasta water, tossing to combine.
- Serve immediately.
I can remember at midnight the night of our wedding reception (we had a second reception on our arrival in Italy), my husband’s uncle had the restaurant kitchen cook up bowls and bowls of Spaghetti Aglio, Olio e Peperoncino for all the guests.
From the first time I tried this simple Pasta Dish I knew I was going to like it in Italy if only for the food!
A big plate of Spaghetti with Garlic and Oil was and is an Italian tradition to serve this dish at midnight, during a big party or get together. This simple dish became part of a beautiful memory for me.
More Simple Pasta Recipes
When summer comes around and fresh tomatoes are coming out of our ears, my husband likes to add chopped fresh tomatoes and basil to this dish, so either simple or dressed it is an easy and appetizing Italian pasta dish. Buon Appetito!
Spaghetti, Aglio, Olio e Peperoncino / Spaghetti with Oil and Garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 6-8 cherry tomatoes quartered (if desired)
- 4-5 leaves fresh basil cut (if desired)
- 3 cups cooked spaghetti (6 ounces or 1/2 -2 cups dry)
- In a large pot of boiling salted water cook the pasta al dente.
- Replace on heat and immediately add the 3 cups of cooked spaghetti, and a half ladle of pasta water toss together gently cook for 1 minute. Serve immediately. Top with chopped fresh grape tomatoes and fresh basil if desired.