Easy Tomato Sauce, a quick Homemade Tomato Sauce Recipe. Once you try this quick Homemade Sauce Recipe with a few simple ingredients, you will never use store-bought again!
The perfect weeknight dinner recipe, makes all types of pasta Delicious. Top with a sprinkling of freshly grated Parmesan Cheese and dinner is served. It makes the perfect sauce for Homemade Gnocchi!
Easy Tomato Sauce
If there is one thing that I haven’t been able to live without since moving to this country, it’s tomatoes.
Tomatoes have to be the most versatile vegetables out there. You can cook them, stew them, fry them, bake them, all this and you can also eat them raw!
They say the Italian flag colours, which are red, white and green, represent tomatoes, mozzarella and basil. Isn’t that fitting!
Those are the exact colours in this fast, easy and delicious tomato sauce. But instead of mozzarella we have garlic and or Parmesan Cheese.
How to make an Easy Tomato Sauce
In a medium pot add olive oil and garlic, cook on medium heat for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, oregano, salt and hot pepper flakes.
With a fork squish the tomatoes to break them up, then stir to combine the ingredients.
Cover and cook for about 10 minutes, then uncover and cook until thickened, but still a little liquid remaining.
Add the cooked pasta a little pasta water, and toss gently, on medium high heat for approximately. Top with freshly grated parmesan cheese if desired. Don’t forget the bread. Enjoy!
When you are busy with things to do or you don’t have much time on your hands, but you know a plate of pasta is just what you need, then this is the Tomato Sauce for you.
Delicious Tomato Recipes
What is also great about this sauce is anything left on the plate can be scooped up with a piece of bread, nothing better. In Rome it is called “fare la scarpetta”, or “make the little shoe,” using a small piece of bread mop up the last of the sauce on your plate!
So if you are looking for a quick sauce recipe then I hope you try this Easy Tomato Sauce. And remember don’t forget the bread and fai la scarpetta! Buon Appetito!
Easy Tomato Sauce Recipe
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 can whole peeled tomatoes with liquid (1 1/2 to 2 cups) no added ingredients (400 grams)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 5 leaves fresh basil chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1-2 dashes black pepper or hot pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup water (78 grams)
- 3 - 3 1/2 cups cooked pasta (molto al dente) (325 grams)
- In a large pan add olive oil and garlic, cook on medium heat for about 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes (break up with a fork), oregano, fresh basil, salt, hot pepper flakes and water. Stir, cover and cook on medium heat for approximately 12 to 15 minutes, uncover and cook another 5 minutes until thickened, but still a little liquid remaining.
- Add 3 cups cooked pasta (al dente) and half a ladle of pasta water, toss gently on medium/high heat for approximately 1-2 minutes or until it becomes almost creamy. Top with freshly grated parmesan cheese if desired. Don't forget the bread. Enjoy!
Updated from January 3, 2018.