Easy Tomato Sauce, a simple fast and easy Homemade Tomato Sauce Recipe. If you can’t wait to come home to a dish of Pasta then this is the recipe for you!
The perfect weeknight dinner recipe, makes pasta Delicious. Top with a sprinkling of freshly grated Parmesan Cheese and dinner is served.
If there is one thing that I haven’t been able to live without since moving to this country, it’s tomatoes.
Tomatoes have to be the most versatile vegetables out there. You can cook it, stew it, fry it, bake it, all this and you can also eat it raw.
Be sure to watch the Video!
They say the Italian flag colours, which are red, white and green, represent tomatoes, mozzarella and basil. Isn’t that fitting!
Those are the exact colours in this fast, easy and delicious tomato sauce. But instead of mozzarella we have garlic and or Parmesan Cheese.
Homemade Tomato Sauce
When I have things to do or places to go and not much time to get lunch on the table, I can always fall back on this amazing sauce.
What is also great about this sauce is anything left on the plate can be scooped up with a piece of bread, nothing better. In Rome it is called “fare la scarpetta”.
I suppose the equivalent in english would be “licking your plate clean”, but in Italian, you use a piece of bread instead to clean your plate.
If there are 2 things that anyone should plant anywhere, in the ground or in a vase, it would be tomatoes and basil. You can’t go wrong with these two.
But until we are in the month of July or the month of the fresh tomato and Fresh Tomato Sauce, we will just have to do with canned or bottled tomatoes, which will suffice. So out with the bread and fai la scarpetta! Buon Appetito!
Delicious Tomato Recipes
Easy Tomato Sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (40 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (2 1/2 grams)
- 1-2 cloves large of garlic chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 5 leaves basil chopped
- 2 dashes of hot pepper flakes
- 1 can diced or whole tomatoes with liquid (1 1/2 to 2 cups) no added ingredients (400 grams)
- 1/2 cup water (115 grams)
- 3 cups cooked pasta (molto al dente) (325 grams)
- In a medium pot add olive oil and garlic, cook on medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, oregano, salt and hot pepper flakes. Stir, cover and cook on medium for 10 to 12 minutes, uncover and cook another 5 minutes until thickened, but still a little liquid remaining.
- Add 3 cups cooked pasta (very al dente) and half a ladle of pasta water, toss gently on medium heat for approximately 1-2 minutes. Top with freshly grated parmesan cheese if desired. Don't forget the bread. Enjoy!