Savory Parmesan Cookies are perfect as an appetizer or even served with your favourite stew or soup. Fast and easy, no chilling time needed and they are ready in 20 minutes!
I would say of all the cheese in the world, Parmesan is definitely one of my favourites if not the favourite!
So when I was told about these Savory Parmesan Cookies I knew they were meant for me.
It’s is such an easy recipe, whip it up in your Food Processor and it’s ready in no time. And no chilling necessary.
How make Parmesan Cookies
I use a food processor although kneading the dough by hand works too.
There are only a few ingredients in these cookies, butter, flour, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and a tablespoon or two of water.
I also recommend grating your own Parmesan rather than buying packaged pre grated cheese. It is probably cheaper too!
Remember you want to grate the cheese and not shred it.
Knead the dough to form a soft compact dough, then roll to about 1 cm thickness. I like to use a small round cookie cutter.
Place the circles on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet, brush with an egg wash, top with your favourite toppings and bake for about 10-12 minutes.
Shredded or Grated Parmesan
Shredded cheese are long strips while grated cheese are like tiny fragments almost to the point of being powdery, but not quite.
Tasty Toppings for Parmesan Cookies
- Chopped rosemary
- chopped fresh oregano or thyme
- seeds of choice poppy, sesame, chia etc
- More herbs to add are minced chive, parsley, savory, tarragon or go plain.
More Easy Appetizers
These delicious Savory Parmesan Biscuits make the perfect snack, appetizer or even accompaniment to your favourite soup or stew. Buon Appetitto and a Happy and Wonderful New Year to everyone!
CLICK HERE TO SAVE THIS RECIPE TO MAKE LATER!
Savory Parmesan Cookies
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour (100 gram)
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (75 grams)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1-2 dashes pepper
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon butter (cold cubed/ 70 grams)
- 1-2 tablespoons water
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1-2 sprigs rosemary
- 1-2 sprigs fresh thyme / oregano
- various seeds
- various herbs
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C), line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In the food processor add the flour, parmesan, salt and pepper and whisk together. Then add cubed butter and pulse to form coarse crumbs, add the water a tablespoon at a time until dough is almost combined.
- Move the dough to a lightly floured flat surface and knead a few times until you have a soft smooth dough.
- Lightly flour the dough and roll out with a lightly floured rolling pin, to about 1 cm thickness. Cut out with a small round cookie cutter, place on prepared cookie sheet, brush with egg wash sprinkle with your favourite topping (I used fresh rosemary and thyme). Bake for approximately 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden.
- In a small bowl beat together the egg and water.