Tiramisu Layer Cake, the Classic Italian Dessert, made with an easy scratch Sponge Cake and filled with the Perfect Creamy Mascarpone Filling. Classic Italian Tiramisu doesn’t get better than this!
Classic Tiramisu Layer Cake
I am sure I don’t have to translate this cake, by now everyone has heard of Tiramisu and eaten it.
But twenty years ago that wasn’t the case, no one had ever heard of Tiramisu, except if you were Italian.
I was in fact in Italy when I first tasted it. My sister- in-law made it for her daughter’s birthday. But after that first taste, I have never forgotten this Homemade Classic Italian Tiramisu Layer Cake.
It has become one of my favourites and my family’s favourites. In fact the Italian requests it for every one of his birthdays!
This Tiramisu Layer Cake has pretty well become our the standard birthday cake. Sometimes I try to make variations to change it up a bit.
This cake should be made the night before and kept in the fridge, before you serve it you can sprinkle it with chocolate curls or cocoa.
Homemade Classic Italian Tiramisu Layer Cake
I made it once two hours ahead of time and it just wasn’t the same, it was good but much better if you wait. The cake is really easy to make and to put together.
So get out your forks and let them eat Tira mi su! If you are looking for some more amazing and easy Tiramisu recipes why not check these out, Easy Tiramisu Recipes. Enjoy!
Easy Classic Tiramisu Cake
FOR THE ITALIAN SPONGE CAKE - see link below for recipe
FOR THE CREAM FILLING
- 1 1/2 cups whole or whipping cream (360 grams)
- 1 egg**
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups mascarpone (335 grams)
- 1 cup coffee (more if desired) (I use espresso, but a good strong coffee will)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
ITALIAN SPONGE CAKE see Recipe
- While cake cools, beat together sugar and eggs till frothy, then add the mascarpone and cream, beat until thick.
- Place 1 layer of cake (sliced side up) on a large plate and spoon 1/3 of the coffee on top, cover with 1/3 of the cream mixture and repeat with the remaining layers. Frost the cake with the remaining cream filling. Sprinkle with unsweetened cocoa or sprinkle with chocolate flakes or chips. Enjoy!