Nutella Chocolate Layer Cake, a delicate sponge cake drizzled with a Nutella filling (or Chocolate Ganache if you prefer) and topped with gobs of Whipped Cream.
Ahhh chocolate and Nutella, what could be better? My youngest daughter, who is an absolute lover of Nutella, I would have to hide the jars or they would be gone in second, would say “absolutely nothing!” and she just may be right especially when you make a Nutella Chocolate Layer Cake.
She starts school September 15th, so I thought I would boost my daughter’s energy a bit by making her one of her favourite cakes. And believe me this is a good one.
This Nutella chocolate layer cake is everything you could ask for. It was given to me by a really good friend of my daughter who loves to bake and just like my youngest daughter loves Nutella. So thank you Elena for the recipe.
Chocolate , Nutella (or a chocolate ganache if you don’t like Nutella?! What?!) and whipped cream. Heaven on a plate.
This cake is best made the day before and left in the fridge over night. I almost had to put a lock on the fridge to keep everyone out. But they agreed and you will too, that the wait will be worth it.
It is a bit like a tiramisu but a little easier to make, it does have coffee as a drizzle on the cake but I’m sure you could use a couple of teaspoons of powdered milk chocolate instead if you don’t like to use coffee, or go for decaffeinated that would work too.
Personally I think that little mocha taste is an added bonus.
Nutella Chocolate Layer Cake
This cake would be a good choice for a family get together, a dinner with friends even a birthday or Valentine’s Day Cake. But be warned they may want to take home the leftovers.
So time to turn on the oven and let’s start baking. Enjoy!
Nutella Chocolate Layer Cake
FOR THE CAKE
- 1 cup milk 245 grams
- 1 cup vegetable oil 224 grams
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 ½ cups cake flour 310 grams
- ½ cup cocoa 60 grams
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
FOR THE FILLING
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee*
- ⅓ cup water*
- 1 ¼ cups Nutella** 400 grams
- 2 cups whipping or whole cream
- 2 tablespoons Mascarpone
*you can also use regular or decaf coffee. Or replace with ⅓ cup brewed coffee.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees (180 degrees celsius)
- Grease two 8 or 9 inch (20 or 23 centimeters) round pans.
- In a medium bowl beat together for approximately 2 minutes, milk, oil, sugar, flour, and eggs then add cocoa, baking powder, salt and vanilla beat again till smooth.
- Pour batter into the two prepared cake pans. Bake in pre-heated oven for approximately 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- In a small bowl add the warm water and the instant coffee (or brewed coffee), stir to dissolve. Place the Nutella in a small bowl and place the bowl over a small pot of boiling water let the Nutella thin so that it is easier to cover the cake (about 5 minutes). Place one of the cakes (slice off a little of the rounded top part of both cakes so they sit firmly on the plate) up side down on a serving plate and drizzle with a spoon the cake with 1/2 the coffee, cover with half the Nutella (or chocolate ganache, at this point I refrigerated the cake so that the Nutella (or chocolate ganache) would firm up, about 10 minutes). While the cake is in the fridge, in a medium bowl whip the cream and Mascarpone until very thick. Remove cake from fridge and cover with half the whipped cream. Place the second cake on top and spoon with the rest of the coffee and cover with the remainder of the Nutella (refrigerate again for 10 minutes), remove from fridge and cover with the rest of the whipped cream, sprinkle with cocoa or chocolate flakes if desired. Refrigerate for approximately 5-6 hours before serving or better yet overnight. Enjoy!** If you don' like Nutella you can always substitute with a chocolate ganache. In a heatproof bowl place 4 ounces chopped dark chocolate heat 1/2 cup whipping cream (or whole cream) to almost boiling then pour over chopped chocolate let sit for 10 minutes and then stir until smooth.