This easy Italian Nutella Crumb Cake, makes the perfect Dessert or Snack Cake. A buttery cookie crumbly base filled with a creamy hazelnut filling then topped with more crumb topping and baked to perfection!
Nutella Crumb Cake
Whenever I go back to Toronto to visit my daughters the first thing the ask for is the largest jar of Nutella I can find so that they or I can make them one of the favourite desserts! Yup this Crumb Cake with the most famous Creamy Hazelnut Filling.
Actually my eldest admitted that she has made it for family and friends, and I kid you not 4 times in the past month.
This is probably one of the first sweet purchases I made in the grocery store when I got here, but then my sister-in-law told me how to make it, and I never looked back. And yes it is super popular here. Known as a “Sbriciolata alla Nutella” and such an easy cake to make, and so yummy!
How to make a Crumb Cake
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add the butter and using a pastry blender or fork combine to form a coarse crumbly mixture.
- Add the egg and continue to mix only until still crumbly.
- Place a part of the crumbly mixture into the cake pan, lightly pat down.
- Spread the Nutella on top and top with the remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake for approximately 30-40 minutes or until lightly golden on top.
- Let cool before serving.
I like to use a springform pan for cakes like these but if you don’t have one, just make sure to grease and flour well your cake pan or a deep dish pie dish would work too.
We are a Nutella eating family, of course what Italian isn’t? I used to have to hide the jars from the kids when they were little, to tell the truth I just started eating it here, but I have to say nothing like a fresh croissant stuffed with some of this creamy stuff!
In my opinion this Nutella Crumb Cake should step out from behind Tiramisu and just show everyone how darn delicious a crumb cake especially filled with Nutella can be. Enjoy!
Italian Nutella Crumb Cake
- 2½ cups flour (310 grams)
- ½ cup sugar (100 grams)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ cup butter (cold and cut into small pieces) (110 grams)
- 1 large egg
- 1-2 cups Nutella
- Pre-heat oven to 350° (180°C). Grease and flour an 8-9 inch (depending how thick you like your base, I used a 9 inch for this one) cake pan (20-24 cm). A spring form pan is my recommendation.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt, add butter, using a pastry blender or fork combine to form a coarse crumb mixture, add the egg and continue to mix only until still crumbly.
- Place approximately ⅔ of the crumbly mixture in the cake pan, lightly pat down. Spread the Nutella* evenly on top and sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake for approximately 30-40 minutes or until lightly golden on top. Let cool. Enjoy!
*If the Nutella is hard, place in a small plate and over a pot of boiling water stir until smooth and soft.
If you find the dough not crumbly enough then add a bit more butter. But remember it must be crumbly and not come together like a traditional pie dough.
Updated from October 9, 2015.