Easy Italian Peach Crumb Cake, made with fresh or canned Peaches, a deliciously buttery crumb bottom and topping, filled with a simple Peach filling. This Crumb Cake is the perfect anytime Dessert!
Do you ever go to the bakery because you are obsessed with one or two of their Baked Goods? Well that was me for years. I would buy this amazing Italian Crumb Cake, or better known in Italian as La Torta Sbriciolata. I would usually get the Nutella Crumb Cake because I gotta tell you, that is one of the best!
And then summer rolled around and we had an over abundance of peaches so I thought why not make a Peach Crumb Cake. I am lucky to have a few friends, who like me, love to bake.
One day, over coffee, I was served my bakery favourite. Believe me it was even better homemade. After I raved about how much I loved this Crumb Cake, she told me the recipe. Which means you have to try it too!
How to make it
- In a medium bowl mix together peaches and sugar and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt, then add the butter and using a pastry blender or fork combine to form a crumbly mixture, add the egg and continue to mix only until still crumbly.
- Add part of the crumbly mixture to the prepared cake pan, spoon the peach mixture on top.
- Top with remaining crumb mixture and bake.
What is the Pan to use
I have used both, a springform pan and glass pans for the Crumb cake and they both work fine. I probably prefer the Springform Pan only because it is easier to remove the crumb cake (and any baked cake) and slice it, although it isn’t necessary.
Can I use Canned Peaches?
I have actually made this recipe with both Fresh Peaches and Canned, just be sure to drain the canned peaches first, before you use them.
An easy way to cut in butter:
If cutting in butter is not your favourite part of a recipe, just remember when a recipe calls for cold butter, place the butter in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes, then grate it directly into the bowl, stir with a fork and there you have a coarsely crumbed mixture.
More Related Recipes
How to Store the Crumb Cake
The cake should be covered with foil or plastic wrap to keep it from drying out. Properly stored, freshly baked crumb cake will last for about 1 to 2 days at room temperature. If your house is hot or in order to last longer wrap it in plastic and store in an air tight bag or container and store in the fridge. It will last up to a week when properly stored.
Baked Crumb Cake can also be frozen, wrap the cake tightly with plastic wrap, and place in an airtight freezer bag or container. Properly stored, the cake will last up to 3 months.
Easy Italian Fresh Peach Crumb Cake is probably one of the fastest cakes to make. It’s all crumbs, seriously. I served mine with a little vanilla ice cream but why not warm from the oven with a cup of coffee? Enjoy!
Easy Italian Peach Crumb Cake
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour (325 grams)
- 1/2 cup sugar (100 grams)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/3 cup + 3 tablespoon butter (very cold) (117 grams)
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 cups sliced peaches (peeled, sliced then halved peaches (can substitute canned peaches drain well) (650 grams)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 350° (180° celsius). Grease and flour an 8" cake pan (20 centimeter). A spring form pan is my recommendation.
- In a medium bowl mix together peaches and sugar, set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt, add butter using a pastry blender, or fork combine to form a crumbly mixture, add the egg and continue to mix only until still crumbly.
- Add approximately 2/3 of the crumbly mixture to the cake pan, spoon peach mixture on top and sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake for approximately 30-40 minutes or until lightly golden on top. Let cool. Serve with vanilla ice cream if desired. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Updated from July 24, 2015.