Chocolate Chip Crumb Cake is so full of chocolates, from the inside to the outside. So good it will be gone in seconds.
Have you ever eaten such a delicious cake that it is so good it doesn’t even need icing? If not then this will be your first. This loaf cake not only has a streusel topping but is also loaded with mini chocolate chips.
I first started making this cake about 5 years ago. But to tell you the truth, lately I have really started getting into baking with greek yogurt and loving it, and white chocolate chips aren’t so bad either. So I decided to change it up a bit and it has become one of my favourites.
It is also wonderful served as a Breakfast Cake, Snack or as a Dessert when you have a get together.
When I make it, I usually make it in a loaf form but I am sure cupcakes or even a small cake form would work well also. I’m sure any fomr you decide to bake this cake it will be delicious. How could it not be with all those chocolate chips!
Chocolate Chip Crumb Cake
Just make sure you start to watch it at about 50 minutes into baking because you don’t want an over done Chocolate Chip Crumb Cake.
I would also advise you to let it cool before cutting and if it lasts long enough it is even better the day after. Now I am off to brew another cup of coffee and yeah why not eat another slice. Enjoy!
- CAKE BATTER
- 1 1/4 cups flour (175 grams)
- 1/4 cup cake flour (35 grams)
- 1/2 cup butter (113 grams)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder (3 grams)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup sugar (150 grams)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (5 grams)
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon greek yogurt (I used 0% fat), or sour milk or buttermilk (151 grams)
- 1/3 cup mini unsweetened chocolate chips (60 grams)
- 1/3 cup mini white chocolate chips (60 grams)
- CRUMB TOPPING
- 1/2 cup flour (70 grams)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (85 grams)
- 1/2 cup butter (112 grams)
- EXTRA TOPPING
- 1/2 cup mini unsweetened chocolate chips (90 grams)
- Pre-heat oven to 375° (190° celsius). Lightly grease and flour a 9x4" (23 x 10 centimeter) loaf pan.
- CRUMB TOPPING
- In a medium bowl mix together flour and sugar, add butter and mix until it becomes coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- CAKE BATTER
- In a medium bowl whisk together flours, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a small bowl toss together chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon of whisked flour mixture. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl cream butter till creamy about 3 minutes, add sugar and beat well, add egg and beat for 30 seconds then beat in vanilla.
- Add the flour and greek yogurt alternatively, starting and ending with flour to the creamed mixture (3x flour and 2x yogurt). Scrape down the sides of the bowl after each addition.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pan, smooth the top. Sprinkle crumb topping evenly on top of the loaf.
- Bake the loaf for 50-60 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with 1/2 cup unsweetened chocolate chips. Let cool completely before serving. Enjoy!