Chocolate Chip Crumb Cake a delicious soft cake full of chocolate chips topped with buttery chocolate chip crumb topping. The perfect breakfast, snack or even dessert cake. So good it will be gone in seconds.
Have you ever eaten such a delicious cake that it is so good it doesn’t even need icing? If not then this crumb cake recipe will be your first.
This crumb cake not only has a streusel topping but is also loaded with mini chocolate chips – both white chocolate and milk chocolate chips!
I first started making this cake years ago. But to tell you the truth, lately, I have really started getting into baking with Greek yogurt and loving it. I also decided to add two kinds of chocolate chips to change it up a bit and now it is one of my favourites.
It is also wonderful served as a Breakfast Cake, Snack or Dessert when you have a get-together.
When I make it, I usually make it in a loaf form but I am sure cupcakes or even a small cake form work well also. I’m sure any form you decide to bake this crumb cake it will be delicious. How could it not be with all those chocolate chips!
Now, we have crumb cake loaded with chocolate and I’m not complaining! There’s never enough chocolate.
What is the origin of a crumb cake?
A crumb cake is a German cake known as a “Streuselkuchen”, it was a flat cake made on a baking sheet, then cut into oblong pieces. It was about one inch thick, and had a very thick layer of crumbs. The original recipe uses a yeast dough, although a pastry crust could also be used.
- Crumb topping: This is a combination of flour, brown sugar, and room temperature butter
- All-purpose flour
- Cake flour – for the cake bater
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Softened butter – I use salted although you can use unsalted butter just add a bit more salt
- Granulated sugar
- Large egg – room temperature
- Vanilla extract
- Greek yogurt – or you could use sour milk or buttermilk – room temperature
- Chocolate chips – milk, dark, or semisweet, regular or mini chocolate chips
- White chocolate chips
How to make Cake flour
For every cup of all purpose flour, remove two tablespoons and replace with two tablespoons of corn starch. Be sure to sift the flour and cornstarch together a couple of times, this way it is sure to be properly combined and lump free. Cake flour in cakes will give you a very tender texture and fine crumb, it will also help the cake to rise.
Why use room temperature ingredients?
With cakes and other baking, it’s always better to use room temperature ingredients. So, take any cold ingredients out of the refrigerator an hour ahead of time or sooner if it’s cool in your kitchen. Room temperature ingredients blend easier, creating a silky batter, which will help to create a light tender baked good.
Make the crumb topping by mixing flour, sugar, and butter in a bowl until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
For the cake, whisk the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. In a medium bowl, cream the butter with a mixer until smooth and creamy. Beat in the sugar, and then add the egg and vanilla.
Alternate adding the flour and Greek yogurt to the wet ingredients and be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as you go.
Fold in the chocolate chips.
Transfer the batter to a prepared pan (I use a 9×5″ loaf pan). Sprinkle the crumb topping over the top of the cake batter.
Bake the crumb cake for 50 to 60 minutes at 350°F. As soon as you take it out of the oven, sprinkle more chocolate chips over the top.
What’s the difference between coffee cake and crumb cake?
The major difference is the amount of streusel placed on top of the cake. Crumb cake has a thicker topping which also makes it a little sweeter. Coffee cake can also be made without a streusel topping.
Tips for the Best Crumb Cake
- A combination of all-purpose flour and cake flour will give your cake the best light and tender crumb.
- Don’t overmix when you add the flour. Mix long enough to combine and that’s it.
- You can use all of one kind of chocolate chips instead of using two types.
- While the cake bakes make sure you start to watch it at about 50 minutes into baking because you don’t want an overdone Chocolate Chip Crumb Cake.
How to store it
I would also advise you to let it cool before cutting it. It’s even better the day after it’s made – just cover it with plastic wrap and keep it at room temperature. It will last up to 2 days.
It can also be stored wrapped well or in an airtight container in the fridge, for up to 5-6 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.
How to freeze a Chocolate Chip Crumb Cake
The cake can be frozen well wrapped and placed in a freezer bag. It will keep for up to 2 months in the freezer. Thaw overnight in the fridge or on the counter.
Now I am off to brew another cup of coffee and, yeah, why not eat another slice of this delicious crumb cake? Enjoy!
More Crumb Cake Recipes
Chocolate Chip Crumb Cake
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar (lightly packed)
- ¼ cup butter (room temperature)
FOR THE CAKE
- 1 ½ cups cake / pastry flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt*
- ½ cup butter (soft)*
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (5 grams)
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon greek yogurt (I used 0% fat), or sour milk or buttermilk (room temperature) (135 total grams)
- ⅓ cup semisweet chocolate chips (mini or regular)
- ⅓ cup white chocolate chips (mini or regular)
*If you use unsalted butter then add ¼ teaspoon salt.
For room temperature ingredients remove from the fridge approximately 60 minutes before using, earlier if your house is cool.
- ⅓-½ cup semisweet chocolate chips (mini or regular)
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C). Lightly grease and flour a 9×5 inch (23 x 10 cm) loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl mix together flour and sugar, add butter and mix until it becomes coarse crumbs. Set aside.
FOR THE CAKE
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl toss together chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon of whisked flour mixture. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl cream the butter until creamy about 2-3 minutes, add the sugar and beat well, add the egg and beat for 30 seconds then beat in the vanilla.
- Add the flour and greek yogurt alternatively, starting and ending with flour to the creamed mixture (3x flour and 2x yogurt). Scrape down the sides of the bowl after each addition.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pan, smooth the top. Sprinkle crumb topping evenly on top of the loaf.
- Bake the loaf for 50-60 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with ⅓-½ cup semisweet chocolate chips. Let cool completely before serving. Enjoy!
Updated from January 10, 2019.