Banana Chocolate Chip Crumb Cake, the perfect coffee cake, a delicious combination of bananas and chocolate. A yummy snack or dessert cake.
Do you ever buy too much of something on purpose? Well sometimes I buy too many bananas on purpose, (ok sometimes chocolate too!) just because I know I will have 2 or 3 that will become too mature and nobody will eat them.
That’s when I get to make this amazingly delicious banana cake with a crumb topping. For me a crumb topping is the next best thing to frosting.
I absolutely love cake and I mean cake, a cake with 2 or 3 layers and with a creamy buttery icing, and lots of it. But unfortunately in my home I am the only one.
The Italian “too sweet” as he gobbles up 2 ice cream cones, “not the same thing” he continually proclaims. Ok, sure. My daughters, “too fattening”.
So one of these days I am going to make myself one of those made for one cakes with that buttery icing I so love and deserve.
For now I will be content with this Banana Crumb Cake. I have only known 2 people in my life so far who willingly eat bananas with the skin as black as night.
My mother was one and I suppose that is one of the reasons she rarely made this cake.
This Banana Chocolate Chip Crumb Cake is so moist, it must be my new favourite ingredient: Greek Yogurt.
If you noticed, I made it sky-high. I found myself a super, cute, deep spring form cake pan. If you don’t have a spring form cake pan a normal 8 inch cake pan will work.
Either way a sunny summer day, a cup of coffee or tea and a piece of Banana Chocolate Chip Crumb Cake and life is good! Enjoy!
- FOR THE CAKE
- 1/3 cup butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg well beaten
- 2 ripe bananas mashed
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- CRUMB TOPPING
- 2 tablespoons mini unsweetened chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Pre-heat oven to 375° (190° celsius). Lightly grease cake pan (8" square or 6 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch) (20 centimeters or 17 x 6 1/2 centimeters)
- FOR THE CRUMB TOPPING
- In a medium bowl mix together chocolate chips, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon cut in butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Cream until light (3-5 minutes) butter, sugar and vanilla, add egg and mashed banana.
- Add whisked ingredients alternately with Greek yogurt, starting and ending with sifted ingredients, beat until smooth.
- Pour into cake pan, sprinkle with crumb topping and bake for approximately 1 hour (check for doneness with a toothpick, if using the deep pan it may need to make for 10 minutes more). Let cool before serving. Enjoy!