Old Fashioned Banana Cake, so moist and yummy, perfect on it’s own or frosted. A delicious Easy Dessert or Snack Cake Recipe.
This is the perfect cake to use all those left over ripe bananas. Believe me this Easy Banana Cake Recipe will become a family favourite and the kids are going to love it.
I can’t tell you how many times I have made this now. When my husband sees bananas just a tad overripe, his first question is “are you making that cake today”?
Be sure to watch the video!
Just how good is this Banana Cake?
Dinner the other night with friends, I put the Banana Cake on the table and our chef friend commented “ahh the cake”! So yeah it’s a good one.
Why Old Fashioned you ask? Because it is a really old recipe, from my Mom’s collection. Sometimes you just can’t beat those.
What size pan to use for baking the Cake?
I used an 8 inch square cake pan but an 8 inch round would work too. Or why not 2 smaller cakes and make a layer cake?
The Best Topping for a Banana Cake
One thing about this cake is it’s perfect on its own or even frosted.
I usually make enough frosting for me, because I love the stuff, especially a simple delicate Cream Cheese Frosting. Or how about a Chocolate Frosting?
How to Make Banana Cake
- Make sure your eggs are room temperature, you can remove them from the fridge about 30 -45 minutes before using.
- In a medium bowl whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
- In another bowl beat together the butter, sugar and vanilla for about 3 minutes, then beat in the egg and then the mashed bananas.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the sour milk to the dry ingredient and beat until smooth.
- Pour into your prepared pan and bake for about 30-35 minutes.
- Let the cake cool completely before you add frosting.
Why use Cake flour in a Recipe instead of All Purpose?
I also use cake flour in this recipe because it makes a cake light and airy. And of course there is no need to buy it you can make it yourself at home.
Just remember for every one cup of all purpose flour remove 2 tablespoons of flour and replace with 2 tablespoons of corn starch. Sift it together a few times and there you go.
How to Store a Baked Banana Cake
The baked cake will keep a day or two in an airtight container at room temperature or one week in the fridge.
If the cake is frosted then it definitely should be refrigerated.
Carefully wrap the unfrosted cake in a double layer of plastic wrap and then place in a freezer bag, it will keep up to 3 months in the freezer.
The Italians and half Italians in this house, aren’t crazy about icing or frosting, so plain or a simple dusting of powdered sugar is all they need.
Whether you are making this Banana Cake for Dessert or Snack, Frosted or Plain I really hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Enjoy!
Old Fashioned Banana Cake
- 1/3 cup butter (room temperature)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (not packed)
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg (room temperature)
- 2 mashed bananas (ripe to very ripe)
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sour milk **
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon cream cheese
- 2 1/2 cups icing / powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons cream
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and flour an 8 inch square or round cake pan.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl beat together butter, sugar and vanilla, until light and fluffy (approximately 3 minutes), add the egg and beat, add the mashed bananas and beat to combine.
- To the Creamed mixture alternately add the dry ingredients with the sour milk, beat on high until smooth.
- Pour into prepared cake pan and bake for approximately 30-35 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting. Enjoy!
- ** mix together 2 tablespoons milk and 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice, let sit 10-15 minutes.
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- In a medium bowl beat butter and cream cheese until creamy approximately one minute. Add icing sugar a little at a time, continue beating, add salt and cream beat approximately 3 minutes until fluffy.
Be sure to watch the Video at the top of the post!
Republished from January 4, 2018.