Nutella Oreo Gelato, an easy and creamy Italian Ice Cream recipe to make at home. Made with just five ingredients and an ice cream maker! Perfect as a dessert or even snack. So good everyone will love it!
- Cream – whole, heavy or whipping cream, at least 30% fat content
- Milk – whole milk
- Sugar – fine sugar this will combine better than granulated sugar
- Nutella – either homemade Nutella or store bought Nutella
- Oreo cookies – regular size not mini
How to make fine/caster sugar
Caster sugar is basically granulated sugar that is extremely fine. You can make it at home, just place the granulated sugar in a blender or food processor and blend or pulse until fine, be careful not to blend too much or you will be making powdered sugar.
How to make Nutella Oreo Gelato
In a medium bowl add the cream, milk and sugar, beat on medium speed for 20 seconds.
Pour the ingredients into the ice cream maker, use a spatula to get all the ingredients.
When the ice cream is almost finished, add the Nutella and crushed Oreo cookies, and continue until it reaches desired creaminess, (see ice cream maker instructions). Depending on when you add the Nutella your gelato will have either a chunkier Nutella addition or a more incorporated Nutella addition.
Transfer the mixture to a freezer safe container. If needed freeze for a couple of hours to firm up.
Read the directions for your ice cream maker as all machines are different, some need more time than others.
What is Gelato?
After doing some research I have discovered that, perhaps, ice cream and gelato are not the same thing. Basically there are three main differences that set gelato apart from ice cream.
Firstly, gelato is made with more milk than cream, a key element that makes it lower in fat, which, they say, also makes it tastier .
Secondly it is churned at a lower speed making it denser than ice cream and lastly it’s served at a lower temperature than ice cream which helps to give it that creamy texture that we love.
If you served ice cream at the same temperature you would get a soupy slop, because ice cream is fattier and that makes it melt faster. But anyway you put it, I still love both, ice cream and gelato and pretty well any kind.
How to store Homemade Gelato
Homemade ice cream / gelato should be kept in the freezer, in an airtight container. Apparently glass or stainless steel are the best containers to use. It will keep for at least one week in the freezer.
So start smashing those Oreos and get ready for some yummy gelato. Be sure to let me know what you think. Enjoy!
Nutella Oreo Gelato
- 1 cup whole cream 240 grams
- 4 cups milk (whole or 2%) 1 liter
- 1-1¼ cups superfine/fruit/caster sugar (not icing or powdered sugar)
- 4 tablespoons Nutella
- 7 Oreo cookies crushed
- In a large bowl add the cream, milk and sugar, beat on medium speed for 20 seconds.
- Pour the mixture into the ice cream maker, using a spatula to get all the ingredients.
- When the ice cream is almost finished churning (in the last 5-10 minutes) add the Nutella and crushed Oreo cookies, and continue until it reaches desired creaminess, (see ice cream maker instructions) mine took 30 minutes. Depending on when you add the Nutella your gelato will have either a chunkier Nutella addition or a more incorporated Nutella addition.
- Transfer the mixture to a freezer safe container. If needed freeze for a couple of hours to firm up.