Pizza Roll Ups, are a fast and easy appetizer. Made with either store bought or homemade pizza dough, cheese and ham, they make a delicious addition to any meal or get together. So good!
Of course fresh bread is served and usually fruit as a dessert. A fancy dessert is usually kept for Sundays, guests coming over, or special occasions.
Dinner here in Italy, is the light meal of the day. Some cheese or a couple of slices of prosciutto and a simple salad or vegetable.
Then sometimes you come across a delicious recipe such as these Pizza Roll Ups that make the perfect appetizer or even main dish which you could serve alongside a simple tossed salad.
- Pizza dough – either store bought or Homemade Pizza dough
- Olive oil
- Cooked ham – thinly sliced ham
- Mozzarella – firm mozzarella shredded or substitute with fontina, gruyere or even provolone
- Parmesan cheese – freshly grated
How to make Pizza Roll Ups
Unroll the pizza dough and brush with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, place the slices of cooked ham on top and sprinkle with the shredded mozzarella.
Roll up the dough from the long side of the dough, cut into 1/2″ slices, place cut side down on the prepared cookie sheet and brush with remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Sprinkle with the freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden. Serve immediately.
I made these Pizza Roll Ups with store-bought pizza dough although if you prefer a salted pastry crust or a puff pastry it would definitely work too!
I find using a firm mozzarella better than a fresh, because the fresh can sometimes be too watery. We also loved the addition of some freshly grated Parmesan sprinkled on the roll ups before they were baked.
Can they be made in advance?
Yes they can, after you have place the cut pieces on the parchment paper lined cookie sheet, cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Remove from the fridge and proceed with baking the pizza rollups.
How to store the Pizza Rollups
Be sure to keep any leftover rollups in an airtight container or wrapped well in plastic wrap. They will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat them in the microwave or oven. They should not be left to sit at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
How to freeze them
The completely cooled baked rollups can also be frozen in a freezer safe container or bag, they will keep for up to 2 months.
So whenever you are in an appetizer mood because who doesn’t love a yummy Pizza Roll Up Appetizer. I hope you give these a try and let me know what you think. Buon Appetito!
More Delicious Appetizers
Ham and Cheese Pizza Roll Ups
- 1 store-bought pizza dough (rectangle shape if possible)
- 2 tablespooons olive oil (divided)
- 8-10 slices cooked ham (thinly slices)
- 1/2 cup shredded firm mozzarella / gruyere / fontina or provolone
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 400F (200C), line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Unroll the pizza dough and brush with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, place the slices of cooked ham on top and sprinkle with the shredded mozzarella.
- Roll up the dough from the long side of the dough, cut into 1/2″ slices, place cut side down on the prepared cookie sheet and brush with remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Sprinkle with the freshly grated parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Updated from April 6, 2018.