These chocolate chip sandwich cookies are a delicious treat filled with a creamy peanut butter filling or a hazelnut cream. Together, the cookies and filling create the perfect balance of sweet and salty flavors.
As most Italians know, a lot of discussions involve food. Needless to say it is a highly discussed subject in our house. Recently the food topic was “what makes a good, no really good cookie“?
My youngest daughter, what a surprise, replied Nutella, my eldest, chocolate chips. The Italian, it didn’t matter as long as it wasn’t too sweet and he does love a good Italian Baci di Dama. Myself, I love a really good Canadian sandwich cookie. So here is our take on the best sandwich cookie!
- Butter – softened butter
- Sugar – granulated sugar
- Eggs – large room temperature eggs
- Vanilla – vanilla extract
- Flour – all purpose flour with at least 11% protein
- Baking powder
- Salt – if you use unsalted butter then add a bit more salt.
- Chocolate chips – I used unsweetened mini chocolate chips but you can use whatever you prefer
Peanut Butter filling
- Milk – 2% or whole milk
- Cream – whole, whipping or heavy cream
- Peanut butter – creamy peanut butter
- Powdered sugar – also known as icing or confectioners’ sugar
or you can use Nutella, hazelnut cream, homemade Nutella or store bought. Or why not make half and half?
You can also make them double chocolate by adding 1-2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder to the mixture.
How to keep cookies from spreading
To keep the cookies from spreading it is best to use a higher protein flour with at least 11% protein or higher. And don’t forget to chill the dough for at least one hour and again the cut out cookies before baking. These should all help produce the perfect no spread cookies.
How to make a Chocolate Chip Sandwich Cookie recipe
In a large bowl or stand mixer with the paddle attachment beat the butter and sugar until creamy, add the eggs, one at a time beating between each addition.
Add the flour, baking powder and salt, on low speed beat just until combined, stir in the chocolate chips.
Move the dough to a lightly floured flat surface and gently knead a few times to bring it together, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes.
Remove the dough from the fridge and form into small balls (a bit smaller than a golf ball), the cookie dough balls on parchment paper lined baking sheets, flatten then gently with a small lightly floured shot glass.
While the oven is pre-heating chill the cookie dough.
Bake the cookies until golden. Let the cookies cool for 5 -10 minutes on the baking sheet, then move to a wire rack to cool completely.
Once the cookies are completely cool, then fill with Nutella, Peanut Butter filling or filling of choice or they can also be eaten without a filling if you prefer.
While the cookies are cooling make the peanut butter filling, in a medium bowl whisk powdered sugar add the peanut butter, milk and cream, continue mixing until smooth.
Can I make the cookie dough in advance?
Yes you can, cookie dough will keep in the fridge for up to three days, be sure to wrap well in plastic wrap or place in an airtight container. You can also freeze it in a freezer bag or container for up to two months.
Use all-purpose flour for this recipe with at least 11% protein. I recommend the King Arthur brand since it has 11.7% protein.
You can, but creamy peanut butter will give you a smoother filling.
Chill the dough for at least one hour.
Yes, you can use any type of chocolate chips you prefer, including mini or regular size.
Yes, you can make the filling up to 1 day in advance and store it in the refrigerator.
If you prefer you can use jam, frosting of choice such as a buttercream frosting, a chocolate ganache, marshmallow creme or why not make bigger cookies and fill them with ice cream!?
How to store the sandwich cookies
The filled cookies can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to two days or in the fridge for up to five days. They can also be frozen in a freezer container, if filled they will last up to 1 month unfilled and they will keep for up to three months.
So if you are like us and love a good cookie, then I hope you enjoy these Tasty Chocolate Chip Sandwich Cookies. Happy Baking!
Chocolate Chip Sandwich Cookies
CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE DOUGH
- ½ cup butter (softened)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 2 cups + 1 tablespoon all purpose flour (at least 11% protein) (258 grams total)
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt*
- ¾ cup mini chocolate chips
*If using unsalted butter then add ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- ¼ cup Nutella (softened)
PEANUT BUTTER FILLING
- ¼ tablespoon milk
- ½ tablespoon cream
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE DOUGH
- In a large bowl beat the butter and sugar until creamy approximately 2-3 minutes, add the vanilla and eggs, one at a time beating between each addition, add the flour, baking powder and salt, beat on low speed just until combined, stir in the chocolate chips.
- Move the dough to a lightly floured flat surface and gently knead a few times to bring it together, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and form into small balls (a bit smaller than a golf ball), place the cookie dough balls on 1-2 parchment paper lined baking sheets, flatten them gently with a small lightly floured shot glass or small glass.
- Pre-heat oven 350F (180C).
- While the oven is pre-heating chill the cookie dough for approximately 15-20 minutes. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden. Let the cookies cool for 5 -10 minutes on the baking sheet, then move to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the cookies are completely cool, fill them with Nutella, Peanut Butter filling or filling of choice or they can also be eaten plain if you prefer.
PEANUT BUTTER FILLING
- In a medium bowl whisk the powdered sugar for approximately 1 minute, add peanut butter, milk and cream, continue mixing until smooth. If too thin then add more powdered sugar.
Updated from September 11, 2015.