An easy No-Churn Ice cream recipe. Pistachio Ice Cream is made with 4 ingredients including a delicious homemade pistachio cream. It will become your new favourite frozen dessert.
There’s nothing like ice cream in the hot summer months, especially a No-Churn Ice Cream recipe. I have been making a few different recipes with pistachios these last few months, and to tell the truth I have been pleasantly surprised. I am not a big nut fan, but thanks to the Italian pistachios are turning out to be OK!
What are the ingredients?
- Sweetened Condensed Milk – It is just milk that has had most of the water removed and sugar has been added.
- Cream – It is best to use whole/heavy or whipping cream, any cream less than 30% fat won’t whip.
- Pistachio Cream – Made with 5 ingredients and can be used in many ways.
- Chopped Pistachios – If you can’t find them already chopped then you can do it yourself, see FAQs.
How to make it
In a small bowl whisk together the sweetened condensed milk and pistachio cream. In a medium bowl whip the cream until stiff peaks appear.
Gently fold in the condensed milk/pistachio cream mixture to the whipped cream and combine well, transfer to a loaf pan.
Sprinkle with some chopped pistachios. Cover and freeze at least 3- 5 hours or until firm, even better to freeze over night.
What does no churn mean?
For most no churn ice cream, it means no ice cream maker is needed. All you really need is about 10 minutes and an electric mixer. The basic recipe uses only 3 ingredients, sweetened condensed milk, whole cream which is at least 30% fat and vanilla.
Of course this recipe is a bit different, with ingredients of cream, condensed milk & pistachio cream and some chopped pistachios.
What is whole cream?
Whole cream also known as heavy cream has at least 30% fat content. You can also use whipping cream which also has a high fat content.
Are pistachios good for you?
Yes they are they have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory traits. They can lower your chances for cardiovascular disease. They are full of fibre, minerals, and unsaturated fat that can help keep your blood sugar, blood pressure, and cholesterol in check.
Why is my ice cream not as green as store bought?
When pistachios are processed they are no long green. So in order to make the ice cream a bright green, food colouring is added. I prefer a healthier naturally light green!
The ice cream should be kept in the freezer well wrapped in plastic or in an airtight freezer safe container. It will keep for up to 2 weeks.
Before you roast them, remove the shells. Place them on a cookie sheet and bake in a 350F (180C) pre-heated oven until they turn a light brown and give off a nutty aroma, about 7-8 minutes. Remove from the oven and place them on a towel. Rub to remove the skins. Then allow them to cool completely before using.
I was able to find finely chopped pistachios in the store, but if you can’t find them then you will have to chop them yourself. You can use either roasted and shelled salted or unsalted. Place the whole pistachios in a blender or food processor and chop until finely or coarsely chopped.
You can spread it on anything from crackers, to bread to even pancakes. But if you are like the Italian you can stir it into your yogurt or even eat by the spoonful!
More Pistachio Recipes
If pistachios and ice cream are something you love then I hope you try this No-Churn Pistachio Ice Cream and let me know what you think. Enjoy!
No-Churn Pistachio Ice Cream
- ¾ cup sweetened condensed milk
- ¼ cup pistachio cream*
- 1¼ cups cold cream (whipping/heavy or whole)
*Pistachio Cream if you can't find it in the store or online, you can always make your own.
- 2-3 tablespoons finely chopped pistachios
- In a small bowl whisk together the sweetened condensed milk and pistachio cream.
- In a medium bowl whip the cream until stiff peaks appear.
- Gently fold in the condensed milk/pistachio cream mixture to the whipped cream and combine well.
- Place the mixture into a loaf pan (8×4 inches/20×10 cm), sprinkle with the chopped pistachios. Cover and freeze at least 3- 5 hours or until firm, even better to freeze over night. Enjoy!