As of today Christmas holidays are finished in Italy for another year so I thought with the toughest three months of winter just ahead of us I couldn’t think of anything better than a delicious “I don’t care how cold it is outside just give me some more of this soup” comfort food. And this Prosciutto and Bean Soup is one of the best.
Back in the day when my in-laws would cure their own legs of prosciutto, we would all be waiting for the time to arrive for the first slice of that out-of-this-world prosciutto. Personally I would wait for the end of that prosciutto just so I could have a small bowl of this yummy Prosciutto and Bean Soup. Sometimes my mother-in-law would add Borlotti or cannellini beans and sometimes she would leave the beans out completely. This soup is so thick and delicious just make sure you have some crusty bread on hand to wipe up all that sauce.
To tell the truth I usually make this soup with cannellini beans but I decided to use Borlotti for a change, both ways are really yummy but we preferred the cannellini beans. I use dried beans and I soak them for 8 -12 hours or overnight, rather than using canned beans. Of course if you are lucky enough to find fresh beans all the better.
The more difficult part may be in finding the heel of the prosciutto, not to worry a good chunk of prosciutto would suffice. Don’t be afraid to add a little hot pepper flakes, a little kick to help keep out the cold. Buon Appetito!
Prosciutto and Bean Soup
- 2 cups chopped prosciutto 280 grams
- 2 cups beans (3/4 cup dried soaked overnight or 8-12 hours)
- 2 cups tomato puree (passata) 453 grams
- 2 tablespoon olive oil 26 grams
- 2 ladles bean water
- 3/4 cup water 177 grams
- 1-2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano 3/4 gram
- 1 teaspoon basil 3/4 gram
- 1-2 pinches hot pepper flakes
- In a medium pot add beans and fill with water to cover, cook on medium heat till tender.
- In a medium pot add prosciutto cubes fill with water to cover and cook on medium for approximately 30 minutes, drain.
- In a medium to large pot add olive oil, garlic, puree, water, oregano, basil, hot pepper flakes, prosciutto, beans and 2 ladles of bean water. Stir to combine and cook on low to medium till sauce thickens. Serve with crusty Italian bread, Enjoy!