Ultimate Rocky Road Nut Bars are make a Delicious Bar Cookie. Layers of Chocolate Chips, Coconut, Pecans and Marshmallows are the perfect topping for a Chocolatey Cookie Base. A definite Recipe must.
I can honestly say that there isn’t anything that I like more than chocolate. Ok, pasta comes close, but not that close.
Sometimes I even think I would love to do a whole dinner with everything chocolate. Everything Chocolate Desserts that is. And these Rocky Road Nut Bars would make a perfect appetizer!
Unfortunately I don’t think my husband nor my eldest daughter would go for it. My husband needs his carbs and my eldest needs her healthy! My youngest? Well maybe as long as I threw a couple of Nutella recipes in there I think I could easily persuade her.
I can always dream or I can just make these amazingly chocolatey Rocky Road Nut Bars that my mother used to make. She would usually make these around Christmas, but I just couldn’t wait.
We were having friends over for dinner and I thought I needed a good, sweet dessert, because these are dessert-loving-people.
I know there are a lot of bar cookies out there, but these Rocky Road Bars and Coconut Jam Squares are my absolute two favourites. And I’m not even a big coconut lover!
Rocky Road Nut Bars, besides having a chocolate, cookie crumb base and then a layer of mini marshmallows, coconut, chopped pecans and of course chocolate chips, this has got to be the best topping ever!
And if you really want to go all out, a little chocolate drizzle on the cooled bars doesn’t hurt either.
My eldest looked at me and said,” Ma, that is a lot of chocolate”, my reply “I know just the way I like it”! In my opinion these Ultimate Rocky Road Nut Bars could very well be the one and only “Death by Chocolate”. Enjoy!
Rocky Road Nut Bars
- FOR THE BASE
- 3 ounces semi sweet chocolate 90 grams
- 1/2 cup butter 125 grams
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs (I can't get graham cracker crumbs in Italy so I use a butter cookie from a famous brand here (macine or tarallucci) I have also heard that digestive cookies are a good substitute) 375 grams
- 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts 125 grams
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut 125 grams
- FOR THE TOPPING
- 1/2 cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips 80 grams
- 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows (I can't get mini marshmallows here in Italy so I just cut the big ones)
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut 185 grams
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts 50 grams
- 1/2 grams can sweetened condensed milk 200
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees (180 degrees celsius)
- FOR THE BASE
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl over a pot of boiling water, stirring occasionally until melted. Pour into a 11x7x2 inches (25x28) centimeter pan approximately) add crumbs, nuts and coconut and mix well. Press firmly into the bottom of the pan.
- FOR THE FILLING
- On top of the base sprinkle the , marshmallows, coconut,nuts and chocolate chips, drizzle with the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the top. Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 20-25 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and let cool. Drizzle with melted chocolate. Chill to set the chocolate. Keep refrigerated. Enjoy!