This Easy Sourdough Bread is made with your own starter, a few ingredients and some extra time can create one the most delicious breads you will ever taste!
With the difficult problem of finding yeast many people (me included) have started to make their own Sourdough Starter. I am certainly not an expert on the subject but I do enjoy learning about it, bread making has always intrigued me and even after all this is over I will continue to dive into the art of making and baking with a sourdough starter.
How to make Sourdough Bread
First start by feeding your starter and letting it double or even triple in volume.
With the dough hook knead for 10-12 minutes until compact and smooth but not sticky. Cover with a tea towel and let sit 30 minutes.
How to get your starter going
How to tell when Bread is done
Tap the bread underneath, if you hear a hollow sound it’s done or using an instant read thermometer, insert the thermometer in the bottom of the loaf in the centre. The internal temperature should be 190F / 88C.
Why wait to cut fresh baked bread?
Once the bread has baked it should be immediately moved to a wire rack to cool, this keeps the bottom from becoming soggy. Also cooling the bread helps to give it a better flavour and texture.
How to store Baked Bread
It’s best to store it in an airtight bag or container, and keep it at room temperature in a cool dry area. Bread can turn moldy in heat and humidity. The bread will become dry and stale if stored in the fridge. Or the cooled bread can be stored in freezer, place in a freezer safe bag or container, it will keep for up to 3-6 months.
If your bread does become stale you can always use it to make Bread Pudding or even croutons.
Some informative links for making sourdough
Bake with Jack who also has a youtube channel
I hope you enjoy your Sourdough Bread and let me know how it goes. Enjoy!
An Italian in my Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Easy Sourdough Bread Recipe
- 258 grams all purpose flour* (2 cups)
- 150 grams sourdough starter (fed) (1/2 cup + 2 ½ tablespoons)
- 5 grams salt (1 teaspoon)
- 120 grams lukewarm water (90F / 32C) (½ cup)
*If yo wish you can substitute with some whole wheat flour, half and half.
- In the bowl of the standup mixer add the flour, starter, water and salt, mix with a spatula, then with the dough hook knead for 10-12 minutes or until compact and smooth but not sticky, cover with a tea towel and let sit 30 minutes.
- Stretch the dough out and fold like an envelope about 4-6 times, then shape into a ball or loaf, place seam side up on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet or proofing basket, sprinkle the chosen container with flour. Place the dough on the sheet or in the basket and sprinkle the top of the dough with a little flour, cover with plastic and let dough rest for 8-10 hours room temperature or refrigerate** for at least 12 hours (overnight).
- Place a cake pan in the bottom of the oven and a pizza stone or baking sheet upside down on the middle rack, pre-heat oven to 425F (220C) before putting the bread in the oven pour 1 cup boiling water in the cake pan. Score the dough and place the dough on parchment paper in the oven quickly and bake it for approximately 30 minutes. Once it is baked move it immediately to a wire rack to cool. Let it cool before slicing. Enjoy!
- **If the dough has been refrigerated, then remove the dough from the fridge and let it come to room temperature about 2-3 hours, then score and bake it.