These Crunchy Twisted Cookies are perfect anytime, with a slight orange flavour they are delicious as a breakfast, snack or even dessert cookie. So good, you can’t stop at one!
This is another of my Mom’s cookie recipes that I found but I actually don’t remember her ever making them, and it’s too bad because I am sure they would have been a big hit. These cookies are an easy recipe that bake up crunchy and buttery with a slight orange flavouring. I am sure a cookie that everyone would like.
How to make them
In a large bowl add the flour, sugar, butter, zest, yolk and salt, beat on low just until mixed.
Beat on medium speed for about 3-4 minutes. Roll pieces of dough into a small rope, cross the ends over and place on the prepared cookie sheet.
Brush the ropes with egg white and sprinkle with sugar. Add some shopped candied fruit or even nuts or chocolate chips as decorations.
Bake until lightly golden. Cool the twists on the cookie sheets.
Can you add a different flavouring?
If you don’t like orange zest then you could add lemon or lime zest or even leave out the zest and add a little vanilla flavouring or why not some almond flavouring?
How to store them
The cookies should be stored in an air tight container and will keep at room temperature for up to a week. If they are refrigerated they should keep for up to 2 weeks. They can also be frozen and will keep for up to 2 months in a freezer safe bag or container.
More Delicious Christmas Cookies
So if you are looking for a simple cookie to make for the the Holiday Season or anytime, I hope you try these Crunchy Twisted Cookies and let me know how they are. Enjoy!
Crunchy Twisted Cookies
- 1¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup + 3 tablespoons butter (softened)
- zest of 1 orange (less if you prefer)½
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 pinch salt*
*If you use unsalted butter then add 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 large egg white (lightly beaten with a fork)
- decorations if you wish such as chocolate chips, nuts, dried fruit or even sprinkles.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C). Line 1-2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl add the flour, sugar, butter, zest yolk and salt, beat on low just until mixed. Then beat on medium speed for 3-4 minutes.
- Roll pieces of dough into small 6 inch (15cm) ropes , cross the ends over and place on the prepared cookie sheet.Brush the ropes with egg white and sprinkle with sugar. Add some shopped candied fruit or even nuts or chocolate chips as decorations.
- Bake for approximately 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool the twists on the cookie sheets, then move to a wire rack or plate. Enjoy!
Today is also Taste Creations Week! Please check out these other delicious Cookie Recipes from my Food Blogger Friends.
Terri from Our Good Life – Strawberry Thumbprint Shortbread Cookies
Nikki from Tikkido – Walnut Rugelach Recipe
Lauren from Mom Home Guide – Chocolate Cookies with White Chocolate Peppermint Icing