This delicious Oven Baked Frittata is made with eggs, zucchini, pancetta and a little parmesan cheese. Make it using just one pan. Fast and easy, it makes the perfect quick dinner or lunch.
I always loved omelettes, especially filled with veggies and lots of cheese. So when I first came to Italy, I loved the idea of a Frittata. Simple, easy and delicious.
I was always amazed at the way my mother-in-law would flip the cooked side on a plate and flip the uncooked side back into the pan. Believe me it looks easier than it is.
Then I discovered the Oven Baked Frittata and I knew that was for me.
No need to flip just mix it all together and bake for about 20 minutes. Fast, easy and perfect when you need a quick but delicious dinner recipe.
What is the difference between an Omelette and a Frittata?
For Omelettes the filling is added in the centre or the side and the egg is folded over to cover the filling. Omelettes are usually made for one person.
Whereas for a Frittata, the filling is mixed in with the eggs and cooked. A frittata is usually made for more than one person and is cut into slices (triangles) and served.
A frittata can also be eaten hot or room temperature. And yes a slice of left over frittata makes a delicious Sandwich.
How to make an Baked Frittata
- In a non stick pan or baking dish add the olive oil, chopped pancetta and zucchini. Then cook until golden brown.
- In a medium bowl beat together the eggs and parmesan cheese, stir in the parsley and pepper.
- Pour into the pan with the cooked zucchini and pancetta, stir gently to combine.
- Place pan in pre-heated oven and bake for about 20 minutes.
Tips for making a Baked Frittata
- If you have a pan or dish that works on both the stove and oven, then this recipe becomes a one pan recipe.
- Make sure the pan you use is a non stick.
- Be careful about adding salt, pancetta can be quite salty, so there probably is no need for additional salt.
- Do not over cook, nothing worse than rubbery eggs. Remove the frittata from the oven when the eggs are puffed and opaque in colour. It should still wiggle just a bit in the centre (don’t worry it will continue to cook even when it’s removed from the oven).
- If you are looking for a meatless Monday recipe, just leave out the pancetta, chop up a small onion and sautee with the zucchini.
- Or you can substitute the pancetta with cooked ham or even chicken.
- Other delicious veggies to use are artichokes (sliced), asparagus, mushrooms or bell peppers.
- Add some extra shredded cheese to the pan before baking, how about cheddar, fontina, gruyere or even swiss.
How to store a Baked Frittata
Place the baked frittata in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator. It will last up to 2 days in the fridge if stored properly.
The Frittata can also be frozen, cool completely before placing in a freezer safe container or bag.
So if you are looking for a quick and easy dinner idea how about trying this Frittata Recipe it’s perfect served with a simple side salad. Buon Appetito!
Easy Oven Baked Frittata
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup chopped pancetta
- 2 small zucchini
- 8 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1-2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- salt* and pepper to taste
*If using pancetta be careful about adding the salt, since pancetta is quite salty.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C).
- In a non stick pan or baking dish (8-9 inch / 22 cm) add the olive oil and chopped pancetta and zucchini cook until golden brown. Stirring often so that they don't burn or stick to the pan.
- While the zucchini and pancetta are sauteeing, in a medium bowl beat together the eggs and parmesan cheese, stir in the parsley and pepper. Then pour the mixture into the pan with the cooked zucchini and pancetta, stir gently to combine.
- Place pan in pre-heated oven and bake for about 20 minutes. The Frittata is done when the eggs are puffed and opaque in colour. It should still wiggle just a tiny bit in the centre (don't worry it will continue to cook even when it's removed from the oven). Let sit 5 minutes then slice and serve. Enjoy!