These Baked Cinnamon Donuts, are a fast and easy breakfast, dessert or snack idea. A soft and delicious cinnamon sugar baked Doughnut is perfect anytime!
What can I say? I’m bringing 2 of my favourite things together, Cinnamon and Donuts! I thought with how fast time goes, can you believe Christmas is over already? Before you know it, it will be sunny and warmer and hopefully a much better year than 2020 showed itself to be. And what better way to start off the year then with some Baked Donuts!
How to make them
When to add the cinnamon sugar
I let the donuts cool about 20 seconds before I removed them from the pan, then I immediately dipped the tops in the cinnamon sugar. Or you could let them cool, brush the tops with a little melted butter and then dip in the cinnamon sugar mixture. But if you prefer plain that works too.
Is it Donut or Doughnut?
In the Oxford English Dictionary it lists both spellings, Doughnut is the preferred spelling in British English and donut is the preferred American spelling. So in other words they both mean the same thing, just different spelling.
Why use a pastry bag?
I found using a pastry bag was much easier and faster, it is easier to control the amount of batter added to the pan. Of course you can use a spoon if you wish.
How to store them
Store the baked cooled donuts in an air tight container at room temperature. They will last up to 4 days. They can also be frozen in a freezer safe bag or container. They will keep for up to 2-3 months in the freezer.
More Donut Recipes
If you are looking for something homemade, fast, easy and delicious for breakfast or a snack, then I recommend these Baked Cinnamon Donuts, healthier than fried and just as delicious. Enjoy!
Baked Cinnamon Donuts
FOR THE DONUTS
- 3 tablespoons butter (melted & cooled) (42 grams)
- 1 cup flour (130 grams)
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar (66 grams)
- ½-¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon milk (room temperature) (75 grams)
- 3 tablespoons greek yogurt (room temperature)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½-1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
FOR THE DONUTS
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C), grease and flour a 6 size donut pan.
- In a small pot melt butter and let cool.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar and cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl whisk together egg, milk, yogurt, vanilla and melted butter until smooth.
- Mix the wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix just until combined, do not over mix. It there are a few small lumps that is ok.
- Place the batter in a pastry bag and fill almost to the top the donut pan (or use a spoon to fill the pan). Bake approximately 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine well the sugar and cinnamon, set aside.
- Remove from oven, wait approximately 3-5 minutes then flip them over and dip the donuts in the cinnamon sugar topping or let cool then brush with melted butter (approximately 2 tablespoons/28.75 grams) and dip in topping. Enjoy!
Updated from December 27, 2015.