I make this Double Chocolate Ice Cream Cake at least three times in the summer. It is the perfect quick and Easy Summer Dessert. Every one will love it.
Living in Italy makes me eat lots and lots of ice cream! Especially when the heat is, and trust me on this, non stop! Non Stop since the beginning of June.
And of course not just because it’s hot but because the ice cream (gelato) is absolutely amazing. But to tell you the truth, I think pretty well all ice cream is worth eating especially served as a Yummy Cake.
I have been wanting to share this recipe for quite a while but with the heat I knew it would be a big challenge.
And a challenge it was. Did you know ice cream starts to melt in 15 seconds in 40 degree heat? There it was like the witch in the Wizard of Oz, melting right before my eyes.
And not only was I battling the heat, but also two kids armed with forks! I literally had seconds to photograph this Ice Cream Cake.
I make my Double Chocolate Ice Cream Cake with a chocolate wafer cookie crust, on top I spread it some melted semi sweet chocolate.
This time I used a vanilla ice cream, but I am sure whatever your favourite ice cream is would work just fine. I then drizzled melted milk chocolate on top.
I topped it up with a nice helping of whipped cream and some flakes of chocolate. Who could resist?
Fast, easy and delicious! Enjoy!
- 1 1/4 cups chocolate wafer cookie crumbs 112 grams
- 1/4 cup butter melted 62 grams
- 3 ounces melted semi sweet chocolate (melt with microwave or over a pot of boiling water let cool) 75 grams
- 3-4 cups ice cream let soften for easy spreading 500 grams
- 3 ounces melted milk chocolate (melt with microwave or over a pot of boiling waterlet cool) 75 grams
- whipped cream
- chocolate sprinkles or flakes
- In a 7 x 2 1/2 inch (18 x 6 centimeter) cake pan (line it with plastic wrap). You could probably use an 8 inch cake pan, it just won't be as high).
- Combine melted butter and cookie crumbs, spread on the bottom of the plastic lined cake pan and press down firmly. Place in the freezer for at least 15 minutes.
- Remove cookie crumb base from freezer and spread with melted cooled semi sweet chocolate. Top with softened ice cream (flavour of choice). Place in freezer for at least 20 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and drizzle with melted cooled milk chocolate. Place in freezer for at least an hour before serving.
- Before serving top with whipped cream and sprinkles or flakes of chocolate. Enjoy!