Eggplant Mozzarella Sandwich an easy healthy baked grilled Eggplant recipe idea. Grilled Eggplant stuffed with a tasty chopped tomato mixture and a slice of fresh mozzarella baked until melted. So good.
Eggplant Mozzarella Sandwich
With spring and summer coming closer and closer . I find that I prefer to eat light and quick meals. We all have more things to do, with vacations, working in our gardens or just visiting family and friends.
Next to an over abundance of vegetables that I am given by my brother and sister-in-law every summer, I am happy to say I see a lot of eggplant.
Thank goodness for my in-laws and friends and all their amazing recipes, I can usually use up all these great vegetables quite easily.
Other Garden Fresh Recipes to try
What is also amazing about this Baked Grilled Eggplant Sandwich is that you are combining two delicious vegetables, spices and melted cheese together, and what could be better than that!
Another niece of mine came to visit last night and I told her to try an eggplant mozzarella sandwich, she told me that eggplants were not one of her favourites because they tend to taste slimy.
So I reassured her by telling her that when grilled all that sliminess disappears (eggplant is quite watery so grilling removes the excess water).
How to prepare Eggplant
- Slice the eggplant quite thin.
- Place in a large bowl and sprinkle with a couple of teaspoons of salt and toss.
- Let sit for approximately 20 minutes, then drain the water from the bowl but do not rinse.
- Lightly grill eggplant on both sides.
And in fact she loved them, and I must say my eggplant mozzarella sandwich will be one dish I will be making again quite soon.
This dish would be perfect as a main dish or you could even serve it as an appetizer. Whatever way you choose, give it a try and let me know. Buon Appetito!
Easy Baked Eggplant Mozzarella Sandwich
- 10 slices thick round eggplant (1/4 inch slices)
- 5 slices fresh mozzarella
- 1 large tomato chopped (seeds and pulp removed)
- 4-5 leaves fresh basil chopped
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons olive oil + a bit extra for drizzling
- 1 teaspoon salt
- extra salt and pepper to taste
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees (180 celsius)
- In a small bowl add chopped tomato, oregano,chopped basil leaves, 1/2 teaspoon salt and olive oil. Mix to combine.
- In a medium bowl add sliced eggplant and salt and toss to combine. Let sit 20 minutes. Drain but do not rinse.
- Grill eggplant slices on both sides (can be grilled on the barbecue or pan grill). On a parchment paper lined baking sheet place 5 of the grilled eggplant slices, layer with 1 slice of mozzarella, a heaping tablespoon of the chopped tomato mixture (divide the mixture between the 5 slices) and then top with remaining grilled eggplant slice.
- Sprinkle with a little salt, pepper and some freshly grated parmesan cheese, then lightly drizzle with olive oil. Bake 7 or 8 minutes in pre-heated oven till cheese starts to melt. Serve immediately. Enjoy!