Fresh Strawberry Pie is so fresh and delicious, a fast and easy dessert made with a creamy Mascarpone & Cream filling, then topped with fresh strawberries. The perfect way to welcome Summer.
Fresh Strawberry Pie
So yes Strawberry season is in full swing here in Italy. And my youngest daughter couldn’t be happier!
I love pastry crusts so I really didn’t have any desire to make a cookie crust for this no bake filling. And I also decided not to add any gelatine to firm up the filling. I did it my way by making a Stabilized Whipped Cream.
This filling is thick, creamy and not too sweet! Just the way we like it!
How to make a Fresh Strawberry Pie
- Make the pie crust or buy a store bought crust, make sure to roll the dough on the thinner side, and blind bake it.
- Make the mascarpone filling and be sure to beat until very thick.
- Fill the cooled crust with the filling (if not serving immediately then refrigerate until serving, you may want to place the pie in the freezer 15-20 minutes before serving).
- While the pie is in the freezer, Slice the strawberries and toss them with a little sugar.
- Remove the Strawberry Pie from the freezer, top with the strawberries and serve.
How to Make a Thick Creamy Filling with no Gelatine:
In order to make a really thick creamy filling with no Gelatine, you have to combine the whipping or whole cream, mascarpone and a little powdered sugar, beat it all together until it is extremely thick. And that’s it.
It’s so good, I use it all the time now for cakes, toppings everything.
How to Clean Fresh Strawberries:
To clean Fresh Strawberries be sure to leave the stem on the strawberries when washing, it helps the strawberries absorb less water (and make sure to never soak the strawberries in water).
Then place the strawberries in a large colander and rinse them under cold water, moving them gently with your hand to remove any dirt. Then gently pat them dry with a paper towel.
How to Blind Bake a Pie:
- Roll the dough to approximately 1/8 inch thickness
- place it in prepared pie plate,
- prick the bottom with a fork.
- Cover with parchment paper and add dried beans or pie weights on top, bake for approximately 20 minutes (if pie is not baked, then bake for an additional 5 minutes without the beans).
- Remove from the oven, remove paper and beans, let cool.
What are the best Pie Doughs to use for a cream filling?
- Italian Crostata Dough – I love the taste of an Italian pie crust, the eggs give it a delicious flavour and flakiness.
- Easy Homemade Pie Dough – This was my Mom’s Pie Crust recipe and it is one of the best.
- Homemade Brown Sugar Pie Crust – The addition of a little brown sugar gives this dough the perfect sweetness and a delicious flavour.
- Easy Nutella Pie Dough – This is the perfect crust for any and all Nutella Lovers, and it would be amazing as a crust in this Fresh Strawberry Pie.
Fresh Mascarpone Tart
Can the Extra Pie Dough be frozen?
Most pie crust recipes, including the ones above are for 2 pie crusts, so if don’t plan on using the dough immediately then wrap the extra dough tightly in plastic wrap, place in an airtight freezer bag and freeze. The dough will keep for up to 6 months in the freezer.
If you plan on making another pie or tarts with the extra dough, keep it tightly wrapped in plastic and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
One of the best reason to look forward to Spring and Summer are all the wonderful fresh fruits and berries. I hope you enjoy this Fresh Strawberry Pie with a Mascarpone Filling.
More Fresh Berry Recipes you may enjoy!
Strawberries and Cream Vertical Cake
No Bake Summer Mixed Berry Cheesecake
Fresh Strawberry Pie with a Mascarpone Filling
- 1 Homemade or Store bought Pie Crust
- 1 cup cold whole or whipping cream (240 grams)
- 3/4 cup mascarpone (170 grams)
- 2 tablespoons powdered / icing sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups sliced strawberries (500 grams)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C), grease and flour an 9 inch pie plate.
- Start by making your pie dough anyone of these would be perfect.1. Italian Crostata Dough2. Easy Homemade Pie Dough3. Homemade Brown Sugar Pie CrustOr you can use a store bought. Be sure to roll the dough to 1/8" thickness and fit in the prepared pie plate. Prick the bottom of the dough with a fork, then cover the dough with parchment paper, place dry beans or pie weights on top. Bake for approximately 15 minutes, remove paper and weights and continue to bake for another 5-10 minutes or until golden. Let the crust cool completely before filling.
- In a large bowl add the cold cream, mascarpone, powdered sugar and vanilla and beat on medium speed until combined, then raise the speed to high and beat until very, very thick.
- Fill the cooled crust with the filling (if you aren't serving the pie immediately then refrigerate it until you do, you may want to place the pie in the freezer 15-20 minutes before serving if you don't serve it immediately). While the pie is in the freezer, Slice the strawberries and toss them with a little sugar. Remove the Strawberry Pie from the freezer, top with the strawberries and serve.
- In a medium bowl mix gently together the sliced strawberries and sugar.
Updated from April 20, 2018.
Kathleen Battaglia says
I just made this tonite….. turned out delicious, my Italian said it was really good. That is quite a compliment coming from him 🙂 yes Rosemary, I just love all your recipes!
Hi Kathleen, thanks so much, so glad your Italian like it. Take care.
Is it possible to make this in advance? Are there tips to make this a day in advance
Hi Susie, I would actually make everything in advance, (refrigerate the filling, leave it in a bowl covered with plastic) and pre bake the crust, then put it all together before serving. (remember to freeze it for about 15 minutes if you want to firm it up). Hope that helps.
Rosemary this sounds amazing! I love the no gelatin creaminess! So gorgeous!
Hi Karen, thanks so much, hope you enjoy it.
Dana DeVolk says
All I can say is WOW! Gorgeous as always, and it got rave reviews from my friends, thanks so so much!!
Hi Dana, thanks so much so glad everyone enjoyed it. Have a great Sunday.
THANK YOU for explaining so clearly how to make the mascarpone filling! This was so helpful and I can’t wait to dig in to this scrumptious pie!
Hi Samantha, thanks, I hope you enjoy it. Have a wonderful Sunday.