Homemade Brown Sugar Pie Crust, an easy simple pie dough, that is perfect for your favourite pies, tarts and much more. Flakey and buttery. The added touch of brown sugar makes it perfect. It will be your new go to Pie Crust Recipe.
I got this Made from Scratch Pie Crust Recipe from my cousin a couple of years ago. And the other day I decided to pull it out again because I wanted to make a couple of recipes (stayed tuned).
This Pie Crust Recipe is definitely one of my favourite crusts that I make.
I love that subtle taste of brown sugar and the flakiness is absolutely perfect.
And how do I know it’s perfect? Because everything I make with it is gone in minutes.
How to make a Pie Dough from Scratch
- Whisk together the flour, brown sugar, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl, then cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Beat the egg, cold water and vinegar together.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix gently with a fork.
- Transfer to a flat surface and gently knead into a ball.
- Wrap in plastic and chill for approximately an hour or even over night.
But remember in order to have a flaky pie crust, the water and butter need to be cold, right out of the fridge cold. Don’t leave out the vinegar it makes the crust tender.
Be very gently and do not over knead the dough, that makes it tough. Apparently a glass pie dish makes the flakiest crusts!
Whatever you make with this Homemade Brown Sugar Pie Crust, I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
A few Recipes made with a different Pie Dough you may enjoy!
Homemade Brown Sugar Pie Crust
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- pinch salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter (cold)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- You can make this dough either by hand or with a food processor.
- In a medium bowl or in the food processor container whisk together the flour, brown sugar, salt and baking powder. Either cut in butter or pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a medium bowl beat together the egg, cold water and vinegar. Add to flour mixture and mix until almost combined. Transfer to a flat surface and gently knead into a ball. Wrap in plastic and chill for approximately 30-60 minutes before using. Enjoy!