A simple Italian Ice cream made with just three ingredients, milk, cream and sugar. It’s also the perfect base for adding your favourite flavour to.
Fior di Latte Gelato Recipe
So for this month, the get together with my Blogger friends, we decided to share Frozen Treat Recipes. A delicious way to say hello to August and goodbye to summer!
I have always been an ice cream lover, Chocolate Ice Cream being my absolute favourite. And I have to say Ice Cream in Canada is pretty good.
But there is nothing and I mean nothing like Gelato / Ice Cream than in Italy. And believe me I have definitely eaten my fair share.
Fior di Latte gelato is very popular in Italy, it is probably a child’s first taste of this fantastic frozen treat. It’s perfect on its own or with a slice of pie or cake.
How to make Fior Di Latte Gelato
- In a medium pot add the milk and sugar and heat, stirring often until the sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat and add the cream, let cool.
- Once it has cooled, refrigerate it until it is very cold, about 2-3 hours.
- Pour the mixture into an Ice Cream Maker ,and following the machine instructions, continue churning until desired thickness has been reached.
- I like to freeze the gelato for about 30-60 minutes just to firm it up a bit more before serving.
What does Fior di Latte mean?
Fior di Latte in english mean flower of milk, which is basically the best part of the milk. Fior di Latte is also a reference to mozzarella.
What’s the difference between Ice Cream and Gelato?
- Gelato contains less fat than ice cream, the fat content in gelato does not exceed more than 8 % and ice cream has to contain at least 10% fat.
- Gelato is made with more milk than cream, whereas ice cream is the opposite.
- Gelato melts faster because it contains less air than ice cream.
- Because of the higher processing speed more air is incorporated in ice cream, therefore the product mass is increased by 25%, and up to 90% in low quality ice cream. Because gelato has a very low processing speed there is less air and a richer flavour.
- Commercialized ice cream sometimes contains milk powder and vegetable fats whereas gelato is made from fresh cream and milk.
Different combinations using Fior Di Latte Ice Cream
This is the perfect base ice cream, if you want a vanilla flavour add a teaspoon or so to the milk mixture along with the cream.
If you like chocolate chip then about 3-4 minutes before ice cream is ready add the chips, about 1/4 – 1/2 cup should do it.
At this point you could also add some chopped frozen fruit or berries or even your favourite chopped nuts.
How to store Homemade Ice Cream
Homemade ice cream / gelato should be kept in the freezer, in an airtight container. Apparently glass or stainless steel are the best containers to use. It will keep for at least one week in the freezer.
I hope you decide to give this Classic Italian Fior di Latte Gelato a try and let me know how you like it! Enjoy.
Fior di Latte Gelato Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk (350 grams)
- 2-3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup whole / whipping cream (180 grams)
- In a medium / large pot add the milk and sugar, heat (stirring occasionally) just until the sugar has dissolved (do not boil).
- Remove from the heat and add the cream, stir to combine, let the mixture cool then pour into a bowl, cover with plastic and refrigerate for approximately 2-3 hours or until the mixture is very cold.
- Pour into the ice cream maker and following the machine instruction churn until the gelato is firm. I like to freeze the ice cream for about 30 minutes just to make it a little firmer before serving. Enjoy.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The Taste Creations Blog Hop happens on the 1st Monday of every month. Each month, myself and 4 other bloggers challenge ourselves to make something with a chosen ingredient. I hope you will check out their delicious recipes too. And have a great week everyone!
Terri at Our Good Life – Bourbon Basil Ice Cream Topping
Lauren at Mom Home Guide – Homemade Strawberry Sorbet
Nikki at Tikkido – Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwiches
Evelyne at Nemcsok Farms – Berry Blue Icee