Homemade Orange Lemon Syrup Drink, made with a homemade syrup from orange and lemon peels, a refreshing good for you out on the balcony kind of drink.
A couple of months ago I made a Dark Chocolate Orange Cake that was really delicious, but I wanted something different to decorate it with. And since I am not one of those talented flower decorating kind of people I opted for something much much easier.
I loved the idea of candied orange and lemon peels. All you have to do is remove the peel, don’t worry about removing the white part and then slice it up nice and thin place the peel in a pot of water, bring it to a boil, drain it and repeat this procedure two more times.
That’s it, easy and really tasty.
Homemade Orange Lemon Syrup Drink
After that, you make your sugar and water mixture, add the peel and simmer on low heat for about 40 minutes. Remove the peels and then you are left with this amazing syrup.
The peels I tossed with sugar and used them to decorate my cake, or you can eat them as is, we loved them especially my husband. They really aren’t too sweet.
I thought the Lemon Orange Syrup would make the perfect Summer Drink, a Candied Syrup Drink. I mixed a couple of tablespoons of syrup or you can add more if you like it extra citrusy then just pour in some fizzy water.
If you prefer you could add it to a cold glass of your favourite fizzy pop, throw in lots of ice cubes and it becomes a wonderful and refreshing drink. Just what you need to get you through the heat of the summer.
If you would like something a little stronger, I’m sure a little vodka or gin probably wouldn’t hurt. Enjoy!
- Peel of 1 orange thinly sliced
- Peel of 1 lemon thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup sugar 150 grams
- 1/4 cup water 60 grams
- 1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons Syrup or more if you wish
- ice cubes
- 2 cups fizzy water or Pop
- sliced lemon or orange
- Place peel in a small pot of water, enough to cover the peels, bring to a boil, drain and repeat two more times.
- Mix together sugar and water in a small pot, simmer on medium heat for approximately 8 minutes, add the peel and lower heat to minimum and continue on a soft simmer for approximately 40 minutes, do not stir, swirl the pot a few times if necessary to combine. Drain the peels (reserve the syrup for future use), roll the peel in sugar and place on a wire rack to dry, approximately 1-2 hours (could be more depending on the temperature of your home).
- In a medium sized pitcher add water or pop and syrup stir well to combine, then add ice cubes and slices of lemon and or orange. Fill 2 glasses, and enjoy!