Italian Broccoli Rabe Pasta is a quick, easy good for you Italian Pasta Recipe. Garlic, olive oil and a sprinkling of Parmesan Cheese make it perfect. The perfect weeknight Comfort Food Dinner.
Orecchiette Pasta with Broccoli is my absolute favourite Pasta Dish and believe me I have eaten a few!
I always loved fall and my mother-in-law’s vegetable garden!
I remember helping her pick all the amazing veggies that she would grow, including Rapini. Unfortunately that is no longer possible.
What is the Origin of Orecchiette Pasta?
Orecchiette is from the Region Puglia and actually means small ear (thanks to it’s shape) in English.
It is in my opinion one of the best! In Italian it is called Broccoletti in English it is referred to as Broccoli Rabe or Rapini.
I love serving it as a sauteed vegetable, just like Cicory . Or even better, served as this Orecchiette Pasta dish.
The first time my mother-in-law made this dish and I tasted it I loved it! And I have not stopped making it myself, not only because it is super easy to make, although that does help but it is so delicious.
What is a good substitution for Orecchiette Pasta?
Actually i think that sometimes the faster pasta dishes are actually the best. Either short or long pasta is good for this pasta dish, although it is best known made with Orecchiette.
Italian Broccoli Rabe Pasta
Personally I prefer spaghetti, I like wrapping pasta around my fork with some of that delicious tasty broccoletti that has been sautéed with olive oil, garlic and a sprinkling of salt and hot pepper flakes.
If you can’t find Broccoli Rabe or Rapini, then regular broccoli would work too.
Not only is this dish tasty but it is also really good for you and you can add as much broccoletti as you like, and topped with a nice helping of freshly grated parmesan cheese and dinner or lunch is served. Buon Appetito!
Orechiette Pasta with Broccoli
- 2 cups Broccoli Rabe (steamed or boiled until tender)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- hot pepper flakes to taste
- 3 - 3 1/2 cups cooked pasta
- salt to taste
- In a large frying pan add oil, garlic, cooked broccoli rabe** , salt (start with a 1/4 teaspoon) and hot pepper flakes to taste, combine with two forks smash down a bit on the broccoli rabe, heat thoroughly on medium/high heat for about 2-3 minutes, turn off heat, then immediately add cooked pasta, a half ladle of pasta water and cook tossing pasta until liquid has evaporated. Serve immediately with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
- In a large pot of boiling water cook broccoli rabe until tender, remove from pot and drain well, do not throw out the water, add salt and bring to a boil and cook pasta until al dente.
- To clean broccoli rabe, leave the flower and a small part of the stem and a couple of leafs (the tender parts of the vegetable) , boil in unsalted water for approximately 10 minutes (you want it tender but not mushy, if the stem gives when pinched it is done)
Reposted from January 20,2014.