Italian Tuna Olive Rigatoni, a fast and easy and so delicious Italian Pasta Dish. A delicious tomato sauce filled with olives and tuna, can’t get much better than that!
You know fall has arrived in my part of Italy (Rome, Lazio) when olive picking time has arrived. Some years are better than others.
For instance this year is not a great year, because the summer was too wet and cool, especially because of all the rain we had in August which unfortunately produced a parasite that attacked the trees and therefore the olive trees produced little to no olives.
Good thing last year was a good year and we still have enough oil for this season and to make this delicious Italian Tuna Olive Rigatoni.I have to admit, if I had to choose one thing to pick it would have to be olives.
Why? Because I can’t say I like all that grape juice all over me.
Oh my, the stickiness of it all, running down my arms and the huge spiders looking me in the eye from their giant webs attached to the vines, or the neck aches from choosing the perfect-sized-kiwi with arms outstretched to reach this delicate fruit.
But it is all an experience and what is life without experiences? For how I see it we have to take them, good and not so good.So with all this in mind I dedicate this delicious pasta dish, Tuna Olive Rigatoni post to fall in Italy.
Rigatoni or Penne are the perfect pasta to use in this recipe because they are nice and big and scoop up all this amazing sauce which is full of tuna and olives. Any left over sauce can easily be wiped with a crusty piece of Italian bread.
My mother-in-law makes this Italian Tuna Olive Rigatoni with tomato puree, but personally I prefer a chunkier sauce, that is why I use whole Roma or Marzano tomatoes instead.
So wherever you are in this world, if it is Summer or Fall, warm or cold, there is nothing better than a plate of Tuna Olive Rigatoni. Buon Appetito!
Italian Tuna Olive Rigatoni
Italian Tuna Olive Rigatoni
- 2 tablespoons olive oil 26 grams
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano 3/4 gram
- 1 teaspoon basil 3/4 gram
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 grams
- pinch or 2 of hot pepper flakes if desired
- 1 can Roma or Marzano tomatoes (chopped) 400 grams
- 1/2 can water (I half fill the tomato can of water) I half fill the tomato can of water
- 1 can tuna ( I use canned in water ) 140 grams
- 20 green or black pitted olives sliced
- 3 cups cooked Rigatoni
- In a large pan add olive oil, garlic, tomatoes, oregano, basil, salt, hot pepper flakes, and water. Heat over low to medium heat, slightly covered for approximately 20 minutes until thickened, then lower heat, remove cover and add tuna, stir to combine and simmer for about 1-2 minutes. Add olives, stirring to combine, simmer one minute, turn off heat gently toss with cooked pasta. Serve immediately. Enjoy!