Pasta with Tuna and Olives is a fast and easy Pasta recipe that is perfect anytime. A 15 minute homemade tomato sauce filled with olives and tuna, can’t get much better than that!
Pasta with Tuna and Olives
That time of year has arrived in Italy, yup Olive picking time! I have to admit it is something that I don’t mind doing, it’s relatively clean (none of that sticky grape juice running down your arms during grape season).
And it’s Fall. My favourite time of the year. This year looks to be a pretty good year for the olives and olive oil.
Last year in our part of the country not so much, too much rain in August unfortunately produced a parasite that attacked the trees and therefore the olive trees produced little to no olives.
So with that in mind I dedicate this delicious Tuna and Olive Pasta dish to fall in Italy.
How to make Pasta with Tuna and Olives
- In a large pan add the olive oil, garlic, tomatoes, spices and water.
- Simmer over medium heat uncovered, stirring occasionally for approximately 15-20 minutes or until thickened.
- Then lower the heat and add the tuna, stir to combine and simmer for about a minute.
- Add the olives, stirring to combine, again simmer for a minute.
- Add the cooked pasta and half a ladle of pasta water tossing to combine on high heat until almost creamy.
- Serve immediately.
What is the best pasta to use:
Rigatoni or Penne are the perfect pasta to use in this recipe because they are nice and big and scoop up all this amazing sauce which is full of tuna and olives.
Any left over sauce can easily be wiped with a crusty piece of Italian bread or as the Italians say “fare la scarpetta”.
More Delicious Pasta Recipes
My mother-in-law would make this Italian Pasta recipe with tomato puree, but personally I prefer a chunkier sauce, that is why I use whole peeled Roma or Marzano tomatoes instead.
So wherever you are in this world, if it is Summer or Fall, warm or cold, there is nothing better than a plate of Tuna and Olive Pasta. Buon Appetito!
Pasta with Tuna and Olives
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 pinches hot pepper flakes if desired
- 1 can Peeled Roma or Marzano tomatoes (chopped/ 1 1/2 - 2 cups) (400 grams)
- 1/4-1/2 cup water
- 1 can tuna ( I use canned in water ) (140 grams)
- 20 green or black pitted olives sliced in half
- 3 cups cooked short pasta (or approximately 1 1/2 -2 cups dry)
- In a large pan add olive oil, garlic, tomatoes, oregano, basil, salt, hot pepper flakes, and water. Heat over medium heat, uncovered for approximately 15-20 minutes or until thickened.
- While the sauce is cooking boil the water and cook the pasta al dente.
- Then lower the heat, and add the tuna, stir to combine and simmer for about one minute. Add the olives, stirring to combine, add the cooked pasta and half a ladle of pasta water tossing to combine on high heat until almost creamy. Serve immediately.
Updated from October 7, 2014.