This fast and easy pasta recipe, made with fresh tomatoes and Italian Sausage Pasta with Italian Sausage and Fresh Tomatoes, it’s ready in less than 30 minutes. Fresh spices makes this Pasta Dish your new favourite.
Fresh Tomatoes & Sausage Pasta
Ahh Pasta, we have Marco Polo to thank for bringing one of Italy’s most famous dishes here from China! Thanks to him, Pasta is probably one of the most famous and delicious foods in the world.
Homemade fresh pasta or boxed pasta (dry) can be accompanied pretty well by anything and everything. Ok I draw the line at Chocolate, but other than that! One of my favourite dishes is this Pasta with Italian Sausage and Fresh Tomatoes.
It is fast and easy, and when summer arrives nothing better than sautéing some Fresh Tomatoes and leaving the canned until the fall.
How to make Sausage Pasta
- This recipe is basically a one pot dish, your water is boiling and your sauce is cooking. Never cook your pasta in the same pot as your sauce. It’s just not right and doesn’t taste the way it should!
- While the water is boiling, in a large frying pan add olive oil, the sausage pieces, tomatoes, and spices, stir it altogether and cook on medium heat.
- Continue cooking, stirring occasionally until liquid (from the tomatoes) has evaporated and tomatoes are soft and a little bit shrivelled and the sausage is cooked.
- Add the drained cooked pasta and 1/2 a ladle of pasta water, turn heat to medium high and gently stir until mixture is creamy and water has evaporated, serve immediately with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese and fresh chopped basil. Enjoy!
What are the best Sausages to use?
This recipe is perfect with either hot or sweet Italian sausages. It is simple and easy, to tell the truth sometimes those are the best.
What fresh tomatoes are the best in Pasta Dishes?
Living in Italy has probably spoiled me when it comes to cooking with fresh tomatoes. My favourite are the smaller variety, cherry, grape or what are known as pachino tomatoes from Sicily. These are a crunchier, tastier and sweeter tomato. So if you ever see them in your local market, grab a bunch and make this delicious Sausage Pasta Dish or even Homemade Pizza!
I can remember when I first arrived in Italy, I thought there was nothing better than pasta everyday. My mother-in-law could whip up those dishes in nothing flat. And it would always be something fresh from her garden, winter or summer.
More Fresh Tomato Recipes
When you make this Fresh Tomato & Sausage Pasta Dish there is no need for anything else. Well ok maybe a nice glass of Italian wine and a slice of Crust Italian bread to scoop up any sauce in your plate. Buon Appetito!
Fresh Tomatoes & Sausage Pasta
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 20-25 cherry or grape tomatoes sliced in half
- 2 Italian sausages (casing removed and chopped into small pieces)
- 3/4 teaspoon oregano
- 4-5 leaves fresh basil
- 1-2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 pinches hot pepper flakes if desired
- 1-2 pinches fresh thyme
- 3 cups cooked short pasta (approximately 1 1/2 -2 cups dry)
- freshly grated Parmesan Cheese if desired
- In a large pot boil water, add salt and cook pasta al dente.
- While the water is boiling, in a large frying pan add olive oil, sausage pieces, tomatoes, oregano, basil, garlic, hot pepper flakes, salt and thyme, stir together, and cook, stirring occasionally on medium heat.
- Continue cooking until liquid (from the tomatoes) has evaporated and tomatoes are soft and a little bit shrivelled and sausage is cooked. Add drained cooked pasta and 1/2 a ladle of pasta water, turn heat to medium high and gently stir until mixture is creamy and water has evaporated, serve immediately with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese and fresh chopped basil. Enjoy!
Updated from June 25, 2015.